Unanswered: inputting into a view

i have a view joining 4 tables, i want the user to be able to input new records into the view and this to update the corresponding tables. is this possible???

However, each table will be linked to a seperate form (using vb). This means after each form the user will have inputted this data....i only want it to save into the view if information is inputted for all four tables. ie. if they input information only for two tables then do not add. All info is required... (i have been using a disconnected recordset)

please help!!!

Why don't you use a stored procedure for it? But even cleaner way would be to have a work tables associated with each user input. Once all activity is finished (the user clicked on Submit or whatever), - then you call your stored procedure to hit those work tables, and if everything is positively validated, - perform your inserts/updates, else, - raiserror, etc.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

Provided Answers: 1
    You have a view joining four tables....
    ...which you then split out again and display as four separate datasets?

Dare I ask?

I really shouldn't...

But I'm so curious...

Though I probably won't like the answer...

But I can't help myself.

WHY?!!!!!
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Views : (

I take it ive done it a bad way : ( can you help me and suggest a better way of doing this? I considered changing my interface but have all the data entered in 1 page but this isnt very user friendly as to much data is required to be input in the same page. What is a better way??

Please HELP!!!!
    what are work tables???

Thanks

Provided Answers: 54
    Work tables are what the name implies, a working space for you to use, then discard. They basically give you "scratch space" to let the user enter/mangle data to suit themselves before you decide whether to put that into your production tables.

I'm making some guesses about your application and how it processes the data. You'll have to read my suggestions critically to see if they make sense based on what you are trying to do.

If you have four logical forms, then each form could have its own work table. Your user could play with the individual forms to their heart's content. Once the user is happy with the data, they do something (click a button, select a menu item, whatever makes you/them happy), and you launch the stored procedure. The procedure looks at the data in the work tables and decides if it is worthy of being stored into your production tables... If worthy, so be it... If not, down the digital drain with the dreck! You can even be selective and decide that some data is swell (and process it) and some is gross (and give the user have another shot at the gross stuff) if you want to get fancy!

-PatP

Provided Answers: 1
    It sounds like there are relationships established between the tables. If I were developing an Access interface for this then that would strongly suggest Forms with subforms rather than four independent forms.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com