Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: Expiring all passwords

I am introducing a new security policy for all accounts. I have created the profiles, and also a password verification script (for password complexity). I know how to apply the profiles to more than one user at a time, but I also want to force the users to use the new password complexity rules immediately, by expiring their old passwords & forcing them to enter new ones. I know how to do this to one account, but can it be done to multiple accounts at the same time?
    Last edited by cis_groupie; 08-03-04 at 09:39.
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.

What about this...
    Create a new profile with PASSWORD_LIFE_TIME 0 (it means it expires right now, I guess) and add this profile to all the users.
    You better try this with one user and if it works, extend it to the rest of the users.
    Regards,

Manf

The problem with that idea is that my users may not log on for some time - if I knew that they would all log on, say, tomorrow, then I could set the life_time to 0, wait until tomorrow evening, & then change the life_time back to what I want (e.g. 30 days), knowing that I would 'catch' all of them. However, knowing that my users will not all log on tomorrow (holidays, sick, working practice, laziness etc), if I set the life_time to 0 then the users will have to enter a new password every time they log on until each & everyone of them has logged on & I can change the life_limit to 30 days.

What I was hoping to do was to do this using the accounts instead of the profile - 'expire password now' for all of them, then it doesn't matter how long it takes for them to log on. Now, having typed all of this out, I've been hit by a little bolt of lightning - instead of using OEM & changing one account at a time, how about using SQL & set DBA_USERS.Account_Status = 'EXPIRED' for all users!

(unless someone knows why this won't work...)
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.

AIX Password rollover script

1.) Get list of users from /etc/passwd cut and paste the names only and put in a file, ‘userinput’.

2.) Vi a file to run the following script!!

for x in $(cat /tmp/sal/userinput);
    do pwdadm -f ADMCHG $x;
    done;

3.) Make it executable!

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    >AIX Password rollover script
    AFAIK, what is/was being discussed are the Oracle DB passwords.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

AIX Password rollover script

My way bad, I realized this after I hit enter !!

set echo off
    set pagesize 0
    set head off
    spool c:\users.sql

select 'ALTER USER '||username||' EXPIRE PASSWORD;'
    from dba_users
    where username not in ('SYS','SYSTEM','EXP',''OUTLN','DBSNMP');

spool off;

Edit the file c:\users.sql to remove ANY user name that you don't want expired, then

@c:\users.sql
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Such a simple solution yet so good! Thanks, all, for your help - I think I'll give beilstwh's suggestion a tryout, as I'm running on W2K (I know, Unix is better, but I've got to take what the company gives me)

Thank you!