Unanswered: Database Administration I or II

I've been offered the opportunity to take a 1-week training course on Database Administration for Oracle paid for by my organization. I see two courses offered that I am interested in; Database Administration I and Database Administration II. What are your opinions regarding these courses; which would benefit me the most given the following:

My strengths are:
    1. I'm fairly comfortable with the basics of database design (normalization, de-normalization, primary keys, indexes, etc.).
    2. I have a strong background in SQL Server (5+ years and MCDBA)
    3. I am comfortable installing Oracle 8.1.6 and 8.1.7 in a Windows 2000 server environment (9-10 installs over the last 3 months)
    4. Windows 2K and Windows 2K3 (4+ years and MCSE)

I struggle with:
    1. Backups that don't use RMAN or OEM
    2. Performance tuning
    3. Writing any kind of advanced PL/SQL (anything that uses a cursor, or a variable)
    4. Creating stored procedures
    5. Creating triggers
    6. Recovery/Restore operations
    7. Any kind of UNIX environment

I have a couple of objectives in taking the course:
    1. To become more proficient as an Oracle DBA; to be able to provide by organization with sound advice regarding Oracle database deployment, disaster recovery and administration.
    2. To become certified as an Oracle DBA (at least as an OCA).

Any thoughts and or comments are welcome.

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

Fundamentals I deals with a detailed description of how Oracle functions behind the scenes, tablespaces, datafiles, the control file, pfile/spfile, managing tables, indexes, users, roles, and loading data.

Fundamentals II dealt with listeners, tnsnames.ora, and backup & recovery with RMAN and without - which is the real focus of this course.

There is no PL/SQL or SQL training in either of these courses. For those, you can attend Intro to SQL (which your experience in SQL Server probably makes this uneccesary), and Programming w PL/SQL.

I thought that all the classes were actually quite good, but that I learned the most from Fundamentals II and Programming w PL/SQL. The others I could learn about from a good manual.

-cf

Provided Answers: 1
    If your intention is to eventually become Oracle certified then you should seriously consider both courses; try selling it to your organisation, you may be able to persuade them that's it one course but in 2 parts (which in reality it is).

If you can only get on one, then I would suggest starting at the beginning; I have been on so many courses that I should have been on years earlier & have either learnt that I've been doing things wrong, or that I was doing things right but for the wrong reasons, or that I was doing things right but didn't know why (as well as saying "Wow, I didn't know that!" lots of times!).

You can always ask the instructor to clue you in on stuff that the course doesn't cover but you want to know about (I first learnt about disaster recovery & rman from asking the instructor whilst on another course).

At the end of the day, any course is better than no course, but, like Julie Andrews says "let's start at the very beginning - a very good place to start!".
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.