Unanswered: Replication! immediate help required please

Hi folks; I have two SQL machines; SERVER1 (Publisher) and SERVER2(Pull Subscriber).
    Every thing seems to be working but:
    I've just imported 17,000 records from another SQL database into a published table of the production server SERVER1 using IMPORT-EXPORT wizard. Now the subscriber doesn't get updated with these records. When i run the merge-agent; the agent just stops with success without pulling the data.

When i set the agent-profile to ROWCOUNT-VALIDATION; it fails at this table.

Publisher db at SERVER1 has recovery-model =FULL
    Subscriber db at SERVER2 has recvery-model=BULK-LOGGED

Please help!!

Hi folks; I have two SQL machines; SERVER1 (Publisher) and SERVER2(Pull merge Subscriber).
    Every thing seems to be working but:
    I've just imported 17,000 records from another SQL database into a published table of the production server SERVER1 using IMPORT-EXPORT wizard. Now the subscriber doesn't get updated with these records. When i run the merge-agent; the agent just stops with success without pulling the data.

When i set the agent-profile to ROWCOUNT-VALIDATION; it fails at this table.

Publisher db at SERVER1 has recovery-model =FULL
    Subscriber db at SERVER2 has recvery-model=BULK-LOGGED

The data in other tables is being merged smoothly though.
    Please help!!

Don't use replication...but are the objects different?
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Hi Brett, thanx for coming around.
    I couldn't understand of what u r sayin about not to use replication.
    The data i have imported needs to be displayed on the website running on the subscriber.

The tables at both side are just the same and there isn't any dynamic filters specified.
    If i insert a row manually into the published table; it gets replicated over the subscriber. Don't know why the imported records don't get merged.
    The most strange thing to me is that why the heck the records get skipped by the agent. There isn't any conflict. And what reason could i tell my boss about this??? I need some logical reason to put forward. Is the replication not that reliable(which is wrong).

I didn't mean don't use replication (although there's a thought), I meant I don't use it...

Just heard that if anything is different it won't replicate...

Doesn't sound like your problem though...

When you say import, are we talking bcp, or dts, BULK INSERT or regular INSERTS?

And what type of replication are we talking about?
    Brett
    8-)

dbForums Member List

Just heard that if anything is different it won't replicate...
    Kindly explain "different". Are u pointing towards schema difference. I've inserted new 17000 records. The tables at both ends are same.

Doesn't sound like your problem though...
    I am still in shock that the records are just missed!!!!!!! It's the production DB and many people are lookin over this issue.
    When you say import, are we talking bcp, or dts, BULK INSERT or regular INSERTS?
    I just used IMPORT/EXPORT WIZARD. Don't know if it uses BCP or regular inserts. The records i've inserted are from another SQL db.

And what type of replication are we talking about?
    Pull merge named subscribtion. Snapshot is accessed from FTP.

Really lookin for u guys to help!!!!

I've just tried entering a record manually into the table; yes it gets replicated over the subscriber.
    I am also thinking of removing the newly inserted records and insert the records back in small batches, but i suspect the merge agent would try removing these records from subscriber which it couldn't because they don't exist at the subscriber at all. All is gonna messup then.
    I am afraid that i would need to run snapshot(most ugly thing for me) and transfer the 2GB database over the internet.

Do you have a separate distibutor and publisher servers?

Did you look at the replication monitor?

What's the OS?
    Brett
    8-)

dbForums Member List

All is default settings:
    Publisher and Dist are the same. I am using SQL authentication b/w pub and subscriber. OS is WIN2000SERVER at Publisher and WIN2003 (std edition) at subscriber.

What to look at the Monitor. It displays the following message when i run the agent:
    NJSQLSERVER:mydb Pull Succeeded Merged 313 data changes (209 inserts, 45 updates, 59 deletes, 0 resolved confli 20040803 23:31:09.847 20040803 23:29:31.270 00:01:38 3.0000 205 45 59 0 4 0 0 0

The transactions being merged are working fine for other published tables.

Ok, folks. i guess i have to run the SNAPSHOT. but what' the surity that it won't occur next time. any tips??
    Any ideas????

The records did not get replicated because your published database is in Full recovery mode. Change it to Bulk-Logged before doing imports in the future.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

Guru, thanx for ur kind response.
    But Full-Recovery model logs every thing and Bulk-Log minimally logs BCP and import etc. Couldn't understand why one should use Bulk-Log then?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge!

use replication to publish destination data

Try setting the 'use replication to publish destination data' option while using the Import/export utility, this option shows up in the last but one screen