Unanswered: Connecting to SQL Server through firewall

I have a simple asp page that queries a database inside our firewall. It works fine from the inside, and only uses port 1433. But if i put it out on our web server it won't connect and tries to use ports 139 and 445. Has anybody ran across this before?

Thanks,

John

Are those ports that you see registered with the firewall to allow traffic? You can explicitly specify the port number in your app connection string.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

Provided Answers: 54
    Quote Originally Posted by JODonnell
    I have a simple asp page that queries a database inside our firewall. It works fine from the inside, and only uses port 1433. But if i put it out on our web server it won't connect and tries to use ports 139 and 445. Has anybody ran across this before?
    You are using Named Pipes instead of TCP/IP for the ODBC connection on the ASP server.

-PatP

specifying ports

is that in the connection string like:

Data Source=172.25.24.30:1433

or is there some other syntax.

Thanks again,

John

Odbc

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    You are using Named Pipes instead of TCP/IP for the ODBC connection on the ASP server.

-PatP
    Do you still need to do that for a nonDSN connection?

Thanks Pat,

John

My first guess would be to go to the ASP server, run the SQL Client Configuration to change the default connection type to TCP/IP. I think that should fix you right up.

-PatP

Thanks

Thanks for all your help. It was set to named pipes. Does anyone know if that is the default setting? I always thought the machine came up with TCP/IP as default.

Thanks again.

John

Different MDAC, SQL Tool, etc combinations have different defaults, and some applications change the default as part of their installation (for which I'd like to fry the developer that came up with that idea!). I don't know of any way to concretely identify just how this came to be, so I just fix it when it bytes me and move on...

-PatP

I have a similar question. I have installed MSDE 2000 on a Win2k3 Server and everything is working fine with the DB. The MSSQLSERVER servoce has been running for 60 days straight with no issue. MSDE works great. However, I cannot connect to it on port 1433 through the firewall. Using netstat I cannot see that it is not listening on port 1433. I ran the CLICONFG utility and I can see that it has TCP/IP at the top of the list with Named Pipes below it. I have other servers ( Only Win2k servers) with MSDE 200 installed and configured similarily and these servers are listening on port 1433. I looked at the registry settings and they seem OK - nothing out of place.

The DB is now in a production environment and I cannot bounce the MSSQLSERVER service till the weekend during scheduled maintenance.

How can I ensure when I stop/start the MSSQLSERVER service that it is listening on port 1433? Would it be wise using CLICONFG to remove Named Pipes (IIS is the only user of the Database) ? I would prefer not to do that as I believe that NP is faster SQLServer and IIS are on the same box.

Does the version of MDAC have anything to do with this issue?

--Steve
    Last edited by smcallister; 08-13-04 at 14:36.

I can't think of any case where Named Pipes would be faster than TCP/IP that would occur in the real world (yes, I know of a way to construct one, but it would never occur naturally).

You can certainly do as you see fit, but I would recommend using TCP/IP as your default connection type.

If you've recently applied either sp3a to SQL Server, or sp2 to Server 2k3, they will automajikally block port 1433. Read up on the service packs to determine how you want to configure your machine to accomodate the access that you need.

-PatP

I believe that the problem was that the CLICONFIG was not what I should have been using. There is a SVRNETCN.EXE utility in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Sql Server\80\Tools\Binn directory that is the program to use. It turns out that the box had no IPC set at all. I added TCP/IP and it won't use the new options till I bounce MSQSQLSERVER service.

--Steve