Unanswered: Importing Date field

I have imported the date (yyyy/mm/dd) into Access as a text file, how do I go about in changing this to a date field so it recognizes this date? I'm just a beginner with Access.

CDate() converts any valid date in text format, to a Date Field.

Red face I could use some help with this date conversion too please!

Hi,
    I've been using access for a while but have recently been given a database to try and fix.
    It's the same problem as q_ube in that there's a field called RenewalDate that is in fact just a text field.

I tried changing the form design on this field but obviously that doesn't actually reformat the existing data.
    Do I need to create a modify query to use this?

If you could help with an example of this CDate() usage it'd be much appreciated.

Table name is QDATA and field trying to change is RenewalDate

in table design mode, change text field type to date/time, access will convert data for you. have a backup before doing that though. wrong date values would be discarded in the translation.
    ghozy.

Talking

Cheers for that.
    I changed it but still couldn't query properly using the Date() function so I exported all the data to a text file, backed up the main table then copied the main again just taking the structure.

I then changed the field type to Date/Time and set the input type 00/00/0000 and when I reimported the data into this table, bosh!

Worked for me so if anyone else tries it remember to MAKE A BACKUP FIRST!

Thanks again!

use @ not like 0's
    Ryan
    My Blog

If you are "reformating" text dates to real dates using the "access smarts" is not the smart thing to do....

This usually works in ISO format (YYYY/MM/DD) but sometimes fials/errors.

If you use dateserial(Year,Month,Day) and using left, right and mid to extract the data from the string you will be sure there are no errors....

Regardz