Thread: Backups

Unanswered: Backups

Is there a view that indicates when my database was last backed up? We are using all 3 methods to backup (hot, cold and Rman).

For hot Backup:

select substr(b.file#||' '||d.name, 1, 49) Data_File, substr(b.status, 1, 11) Status, to_char(b.time,'DD-MON-RR HH:MI AM') Time from v$backup b, v$datafile d where b.file#=d.file#;

Regards,

Manf

Provided Answers: 1
    For a cold backup you could always look at the creation date of the backup files, or is there a specific reason for wanting to do this using a view?
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.

I need to run some tasks in the database and I have no point of recovery if this is run without knowing if the database has been successfully backed up. This will be an automated process.

If you consider the hot backup is enough safe for you to run your tasks, you can create your backup scripts that generate .log. So you can check for that .log files (with shell scripts, eg) and if there's no error, you can then run your tasks.
    Regards,

Manf

Provided Answers: 1
    Not sure exactly how they work, but maybe you can find what you need in v$backup, v$backup_piece, v$backup_set.

Also, this link might help, or at least point you in the direction you want to go:

http://java.cms.livjm.ac.uk/oracle9i...5/rcviews8.htm
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.