Unanswered: insert huge # of rows

hi
    newbie here. Whenever I try to insert huge number of rows (say 25000 records) into a table my transaction timesout. I use this query

insert into gTable select A,B, C, D, E,F,G,sum(V) ,((Floor(H/10000))*10000) as ttime, min(V) , max(V), sum(V)/6 from preTable where (A <=25000 and A>0) group by B,C,D,E,F,G,H

Few columns in this table(innodb type) are indexed and few have FK constraints. This query takes anything between 10 min to 20 min to complete. Removing FKs does speed up insert time but stillam running into similar issues. any help?

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by TimKaine
    hi
    newbie here. Whenever I try to insert huge number of rows (say 25000 records) into a table my transaction timesout. I use this query

insert into gTable select A,B, C, D, E,F,G,sum(V) ,((Floor(H/10000))*10000) as ttime, min(V) , max(V), sum(V)/6 from preTable where (A <=25000 and A>0) group by B,C,D,E,F,G,H

Few columns in this table(innodb type) are indexed and few have FK constraints. This query takes anything between 10 min to 20 min to complete. Removing FKs does speed up insert time but stillam running into similar issues. any help?
    What takes the most time here? Did you time the SELECT to see how much time it took to execute? Did you try an EXPLAIN on your select to verify if your query wouldn't benefit from an index on column A?

insert huge # of rows

--"What takes the most time here? Did you time the SELECT to see how much time it took to execute? Did you try an EXPLAIN on your select to verify if your query wouldn't benefit from an index on column A?"

The select part of the query does not take time. It is the inserts ..and it slows down as the table grows. Here is the result of the explain query.

*************************** 1. row *************************
    table: preTable
    type: range
    possible_keys: PRIMARY
    key: PRIMARY
    key_len: 8
    ref: NULL
    rows: 50408
    Extra: Using where; Using temporary; Using filesort