Unanswered: Logical Logs to Disk

We are using Informix 7.3 with Legato and the backup tool. However we are currently backing up logical logs directly to tape. Is there any way to back up AND RESTORE logical logs only to disk without purchasing Legato's Disk Backup module?

Thanks

dennis beausoleil

dpbredsox,

Yes, change your ONCONFIG file LTAPEDEV parameter to point to the absolute path of a file or a symbolic link pointing to a file (more on that in the next paragraph). The file should already exist and be 0 bytes in length when you start logging to it. You should also probably put the maximum file size for you OS in LTAPESIZE or Informix will error in trying to write past the OS's filesize limitations.

Also be aware that once you have filled up the file to the OS size limit you will be prompted to enter another 'tape' into the device. If you used an actual file name in the LTAPEDEV, you should copy the existing file to another name/location, zero out the current file and logging can continue. The symbolic link method is better since you can just point the link to another 0 byte file without switching file names.

Be aware these file obviously need to be backed up to tape somehow if you are interested in restoring after a disk-crash. Also consider this will take longer than usual since you will first have to restore the files from tape, and then get Informix to read these files.
    Keith Brownlow
    ServerMetrics DB Monitoring (www.servermetrics.com)

Onbar Archive and ontape log backup not compatible

Take care : You cannot apply logical log backups taken with ontape ( using LTAPEDEV device ) to an instance restored from an archive taken with Onbar and a storage manager (Legato).

In Legato you need to create a backup-device on disk (directory) in order to backup logical logs to disk with onbar.
    I don't know what license you need for that.
    But mixing of onbar and ontape backups is not possible.

Koen

Thanks so much for responding so quickly. Much appreciated.

Does your solution assume that I am using ontape and not onbar? We are using onbar to backup the database and the logical logs currently. I assume it is not possible to restore the database using onbar and then attempt to restore the logical logs using ontape.

dennis

My solution unfortunately would mean you would have to forego legato, sorry I forgot to mention that
    Keith Brownlow
    ServerMetrics DB Monitoring (www.servermetrics.com)