Thread: Sql Alert

Unanswered: Sql Alert

Folks, i want an alert to be displayed by SQL when the processor shoots above 80% constantly for 30 seconds. Is there any perfomance counter alert sepcifically for this purpose?

Howdy!

Provided Answers: 54
    So you want SQL Server to write an entry to its log file when the CPU starts to spin? Could you just use Perfmon (on another machine, of course) and let it write to the NT log instead?

-PatP

Hi, I am using the perfmon on another machine to check the status occasionally; but i can't constantly monitor the machine. I just want to get a netsend on my machine when the CPU is above a specific limit.

Howdy!

I'm 99% certain that you can set a Perfmon altert to do what you want. I don't have an easy way to confirm that right now, but I should be able to confirm it sometime later today.

-PatP

Thanx for ur guidance; i'll search for this feature in the perfmon too, and would be thankful if u have this squared for me.

Well, there's an option ALERTS under perfmon console, i can add the processor counter for the server and specify the limit; but i couldn't find the option or check to perform an action when the couter is constant for 30 or 40 seconds. It's normal if the processor shoots to 80% for a few seconds; but if stays constantly for a long period; i want the alert to be invoked.

Thanx!

Just set the Perfmon sample time to the desired period (say 30 seconds). Perfmon will then check every N seconds to get the average usage since the last time that it checked.

-PatP

Set the notification on the Action tab. Click the box next to "Send a network message to:" and enter your machine name.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeginner
    Well, there's an option ALERTS under perfmon console, i can add the processor counter for the server and specify the limit; but i couldn't find the option or check to perform an action when the couter is constant for 30 or 40 seconds. It's normal if the processor shoots to 80% for a few seconds; but if stays constantly for a long period; i want the alert to be invoked.

Thanx!

Just set the Perfmon sample time to the desired period (say 30 seconds). Perfmon will then check every N seconds to get the average usage since the last time that it checked.
    Pat, the alert is firing on the current counter value rather than the average amount.

If i add %processor time(total) in the alert and set the VALUE OVER 10 LIMIT and set the SAMPLE DATA every 10 SECONDS. It doesn't checks for the average value; rather it checks the current value after every 10 secs.
    i am continuously watching the counter live in the perfmon screen.
    I get the alert message each 10 seconds if current counter value is over 10, not the average value.

Getting the average value is much more useful, for it would tell us that the cpu has been busy constantly for a specific amount of time.

Howdy!