Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New User

Unanswered: New User

Hi again,

I have sa rights or so I believe and I am trying to create a New user within the database itself and the message I am getting is:

MS SQL--DMO (ODBC SQLSTATE: 4200)
    Error 446: Cannot resolve collation conflict for equal to operation

What does this mean?

I have a feeling that the server admin didn't give me proper rights.

Thanks

Lystra

When do you get that? Through EM or QA?

My guess is that your database is set up with a different collation the the server default....

I'd be curious if you did this through code.....or EM
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

It was through EM. I am a new DBA here, and the persons that set up the servers don't know anything about SQL Server and really don't care.

Did they do the sql sserver install?

Try this

Code:
    EXEC sp_addlogin @loginame = 'mylogin99', @passwd = 'mypassword99',@defdb = 'Northwind'

EXEC sp_addrole  @rolename = 'myrole99'

EXEC sp_adduser @loginame = 'mylogin99', @name_in_db = 'mylogin99', @grpname = 'myrole99'
    And let us know if that works...
    Brett
    8-)

dbForums Member List

It tells you there's a collation mismatch somewhere down the line. Do yourself a favor - If you can't determine when this happens, load up a profiler and watch while you click through Enterprose Manager. Notice the stored procedure on which the error happens. Use sp_helptext to see the code behind the said stored proc and you may find out the offending part of the object (db, table, or column) in an equation. It may be a collation problem there.

it's probably a join between system tables in master and the database he's working in...

That's why I want him to try the code I gave him in QA
    Brett
    8-)

dbForums Member List

I got this result

New login created.
    New role added.
    Granted database access to 'mylogin99'.
    'mylogin99' added to role 'myrole99'.

By the way I am a woman, I don,t think there are to many guys with the name LYSTRA(LIS-Straw). Thank you very much :-)

Provided Answers: 54
    Actually there are very few people named Lystra here in the states. While I recognized the name, I doubt very much that Brett did.

Just curious, but are you actually located in Milan, Italy? If so, you certainly appear to be a night-owl!

-PatP

No, I am in Frederick,Maryland, good old USA, Milan is my daughters name.

I see. Lystra, Milan... We have a theme going here.

I think what Brett was trying to discover using the script he asked you to run was if logins/users/databases/etc could be created using their stored procedure primatives. It appears that worked without any complaint, which leads me to think the problem has to lie somewhere else... Now the next question is where!

I know that someone else built the server for you, but do you know if they used mostly default choices? Is there any reason that they might have chosen a non-standard character set from the other choices made on that server (for example, installing a Cyrillic collation in SQL Server onto an NT machine using Japanese, or something equally conflicting).

-PatP

The guy that built the server is very unreliable. He could care less about Sql server. But now there are some questions I can ask to try and troubleshoot this problem.

Thanks you very much.

Lystra

p.s. Lystra (Greek), Milan (Italian), Both are city.

Believe it or not I am from a small island in the west indies (Grenad), what was my mother thinking I don't know.

THank again

Quote Originally Posted by milan1115
    p.s. Lystra (Greek), Milan (Italian), Both are city.

Believe it or not I am from a small island in the west indies (Grenad), what was my mother thinking I don't know.
    Many of us wonder what our mothers were thinking. You certainly aren't alone there. Then again, one friend of mine named her daughter Kirian Aurora Marie, when her husband had a 15 character last name... We thought the poor kid would be in third grade before she should write her name!

Both Lystra and Milan have a long history of being anti-war, and pro-women (although admittedly in odd ways by the standards of 21st century American culture). Both are also pretty names, at least to my ear.

Anywho, we've pretty concretely demonstrated (via Brett's script) that the problem doesn't lie in the server itself. Using the stored procedure primatives seems to work nicely.

Is it possible that using another machine to run SQL Enterprise Manager might produce different results? You'd have to install the SQL client tools onto that machine if they aren't already installed in order to test this idea. Is it possible that the server registration in the Enterprise Mangler that you've been using uses another collation (for example if it was a Windows login that had a peculiar profile setting relative to the SQL Server)?

You've got a good problem here. These are usually simple to answer, and you've managed to "stump the band" so far with this one!

-PatP

Just for kicks and grins, why don't you run this script real quick and see if you have the same collation on the server and databases at least. Let us know if any are different.

SELECT SERVERPROPERTY(N'Collation')

DECLARE @databases TABLE(ident INT IDENTITY(1,1) PRIMARY KEY, database_name VARCHAR(256))

INSERT @databases(database_name)
    SELECT name FROM sysdatabases

DECLARE @min INT, @max INT, @database VARCHAR(256)
    SELECT @min = 1, @max = (SELECT MAX(ident) FROM @databases)

WHILE @min <= @max
    BEGIN

SELECT @database = (SELECT database_name FROM @databases WHERE ident = @min)

SELECT @database, DATABASEPROPERTYEX(@database,'Collation')

SELECT @min = @min + 1
    END
    MeanOldDBA
    derrickleggett@hotmail.com
    When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.

I tried the code you have suggest and the result is:

[MICROSOFT][ODBC SQL SERVER DRIVER] Syntax error or Access violation.

Could it be that my login doesn't have to right access to run code on that server.

Also, the Server Admin, listed my login in the SQL Admin group, shouldn't he have my login directly on the box or my login place in a group is fine?

Thanks

Lystra

Where are you running the code from?

This should all be run in Query Analyzer
    Brett
    8-)

dbForums Member List