Unanswered: STORED PROC WITH VARIABLE MULTIPLE OR <>

I need to create a SQL Server Stored Proc that will handle a variable number of Or conditions. This is currently being done with a MS Access Query as follows

Do Until rst.EOF

myw = myw = "(rst!Field1 <> 0) OR (rst!Field1 <> 1) "

Loop

mysql = "UPDATE Table SET Field2 = 1 WHERE " & myw

The above code is very simplified.

I Want to create a stored proc to do this but I cannot send it the SQL to the Stored Proc (or can I) so I need to use parameters instead. I want to do something like

Do until rst.EOF

Set cmd = MakeStoredProc("sp_Table_UpdateField2_ForField1")
    Set prmField1 = cmd.CreateParameter("Field1", adInteger, adParamInput, , rst!Field2)
    cmd.Parameters.Append Field1

cmd.Execute

Loop

Again the above is very simplified. So how can you get the the SQL for the Stored Proc for something like the following from a loop

WHERE = (Field1 <> 0) OR (Field1 <> 1) OR (Field1 <> 2) ...

Thanks in advance for your help
    JayD
    Boulder, CO, USA

Provided Answers: 54
    If you rummage around a bit using the forum search feature, you'll find a table valued function I wrote called fSplit() (or I can always dig it up and repost it). It takes a delimted list (like "1, 2, 3, 4, 5") and turns it into a table.

You could pass the parameters in as a VARCHAR parameter, then use dbo.fSplit and the NOT IN syntax to exclude those values from the row(s) you returned.

Otherwise, you'll have to concoct some way to do this using dynamic SQL which can be done, but it is a lot more work.

-PatP