Thread: Access problem

Exclamation Unanswered: Access problem

Hello all, I am having a large issue with Microsoft Access. It appears that someone has added security permission to the database that I can not remove. There are two accounts set up, jhyat (myself) and admin. I should be the owner of the objects in the database, but am not, and no account has administer permissions or ownership of any of the objects in the database. HELP!!!!

Thank you.

First check if you are part of the admin group. If you do then you can go into
    Tools --> Security -->User And Group Permissions. THere you can then change the ownerships.

Quote Originally Posted by khan
    First check if you are part of the admin group. If you do then you can go into
    Tools --> Security -->User And Group Permissions. THere you can then change the ownerships.
    I checked the persmissions, the admin group is empty. Neither account that is set up has administer permissions. I tried to make a admin account (named it "bob") and I was unable to give admin permissions because I was not an admin...

pretty twisted, huh?

Correction on my last post...

there are users in the admin group, but the objects in my database have no owers, therefore I can not change any forms, queries, or tables in my database...

Access does not let me add owners, because no one has administer permissions on any objects.

Can you check under what account are you logging in ? I mean in the imediate window type this command

?CurrentUser

And see if the resultant account is part of the admin group or not.

If not then you have to log in as one of the admins and then go from there. Access will not allow you to change permissions if you are not part of the Admin group.

Unhappy

Yes, I can.

I logged in as jhyatt (which is part of the admin group) and I tried to change the ownership of one of my forms. An error message came up and told me that in order to change ownership, I needed to have administer permissions to that form. I tried to add administer permissions, and another error message came up and told me that I needed to be in the admin group to add administer permissions to a form. So I logged out...

I logged back in as admin (also a part of the admin group) and repeated the process with the same results.

: sigh :

Lightbulb

It might be better if I re-phrased my question...

I need to change permissions for the objects in my database. Unfortunately, in order to change permssions of an object, someone has to have administer permissions on that object.

My problem is that no accounts have administer permissions on any objects.

So, my question is, how do I completely turn off security... or how do I add administer permission to an object when no account has administer permissions.

I hope that clears things up a little. Clear as mud, right??

Arrow

In addition to my last post, the owner information for the objects in my database is listed as <unknown> in all of my objects. This is (of course) unchangeable without administer permissions.

: sigh : again

Okay now what you can do is to hose the whole security file, create a new security file, set up accounts properly remember to add your id to the admin group and then attach that security file to your db.

Then you will be able to do the owneship change. Let me know if you have problems making another security file.

Just a couple questions...

How do I "hose" the security file?

How do I make a new one?

How do I connect it to the database?

P.S. You lost me at Okay...

Quote Originally Posted by LocoChivo
    Just a couple questions...

How do I "hose" the security file?

How do I make a new one?

How do I connect it to the database?

P.S. You lost me at Okay...
    Actually that is just one question..... HOW? hehe

Well security file is just another file with the extension mdw.Normally the name goes like system.mdw. There is a another program called wrkgadm.exe in your c drive. Run it. this is a security file admin. There you can create a new one (say App.mdw). Then use a shortcut to open up your app. Once you have the short cut. go into its properties and replace the target like that
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE" "C:\My App\App.mdb" /wrkgrp "C:\My App\App.mdw"

Now open up your app using this new modified shortcut and then change whatever you want to.

make sure that the app has a database password so that when you open your app through this shortcut login id box pops up. Enter your admin account id and now you will login as admin and can change whatever.

Got it. if not then let me know. Now I'm going home, its getting late up here.

Question

That is exactly what I need to do! Thank you for your help!

Unfortunately, I think my computer hates me...

I followed the steps you provided for me but I received an error when I opened the WRKGADM program. The error read: "Can't open registry database". I went to MSDN and found a Knowledge base article that addresses that exact problem, and followed all the direction to resolve it, but it did not resolve. I tried to open the program on three other boxes and all three, including the first, gave me the same error.

:sigh: Help please.

I got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for your help!!!