Question Unanswered: Access 97 & XP Pro

We've recently began to upgrade our pc systems at work. Our first new machine for the office's is running XP Pro but our current DB is in Access 97. When we try and open work in progress DB it either opens a blank DB or hangs. It also opens multiple windows which we are unable to close without restarting the pc.

We've tried to update office with SR2 from Microsoft but to no avail.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is a custom database that we access via Access. The person who wrote is no longer contactable.

Regards

Is it possile for you to open the database in design mode? If it is then try check and update the registered libraries with it. It might be crashing because of some references to old versions of some references libraries of vba coding that were saved with the database when it was developed before you updated to XP. most of the time references libraries to media player etc.

- Saqib

Unhappy

I don't think anyone here including myself would have a clue as what or how to do that. We've went as far as installing Office 97 on that machine and it still has the same problems.

We are a manufacturing plant and no one here is able to truly do what you are suggesting.

It is possible the database was designed with paths to external data sources. For example Windows 98 may have My Documents in the root 'C:\' where XP will have 'C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents' If it is referring to any external data sources these Paths would have to be updated. You could try to replicating the same invironment on the XP system as you had in the old OS. Same directory names for the MDB file location and any external data sources.
    ~

Bill

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by savbill
    It is possible the database was designed with paths to external data sources. For example Windows 98 may have My Documents in the root 'C:\' where XP will have 'C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents' If it is referring to any external data sources these Paths would have to be updated. You could try to replicating the same invironment on the XP system as you had in the old OS. Same directory names for the MDB file location and any external data sources.
    Hi Bill,

Cheers mate that was exactly what it was! Although I'm personally not a fan of running an older version of Office on new machines, we have little choice until all the pc's are updated. At least we are now able to access our work system on all machines until such time as we've replaced them with up to date pc's.

Thank you again.

Vince