Unanswered: dump database and file size over 2Gb

Hi

I am trying to backup a 128GB size database.However my unix filesystem cannot take more then 2Gb file..how do i backup the database with the follwoing command

dump database my_db to "/u02/bakup/syb.bkp"

i need to spilt the file does dump command has this ability to do it.I am on ASE 12.5

I am playing around with the pubs database i backed up the pubs database shipped with AS-12.5 and then cretaed a database with separate log and data devices and then i restored the backed up pubs database.However when i am trying to backup the transaction log of this new pubs database there is a message that the data and logs segments are not different and i need to use dump database for backing up this database?

I am a sybase newbie please help how do i separate the data and log segments for a newly created or restired database.

regards
    Hrishy

Look at the documentation for the DUMP DATABASE command. There's a STRIPE ON parameter which tells ASE to dump to multiple files -- you'd STRIPE to each file you want to dump to. Also you can use compression to try and limit the number of stripes you need.
    Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt

Thanks for ur inputs i will look up the doco can u look into my second problem..

I am playing around with the pubs database i backed up the pubs database shipped with AS-12.5 and then cretaed a database with separate log and data devices and then i restored the backed up pubs database.However when i am trying to backup the transaction log of this new pubs database there is a message that the data and logs segments are not different and i need to use dump database for backing up this database?

what do i do about the above

regards
    Hrishy

What commands did you do to LOAD the database? Did you use the "LOG ON" option to put the log on your new log device? Can you post the error message with number, too?

Hi

when i try to backup the pubs2database the error is syslogs does not exist in its own segment in database pubs2 Thats the reason why ia m unbale to to dump tran command.

Can anybody tell me how to moove syslogs to its own device

regards
    Hrishy

Since your data and log are on the same segment you cannot dump tran -- only dump database then truncate the log. If possible, drop your DB and re-create it but this time remember to use LOG ON when you LOAD the database.

If you want to keep it, you'll have to go through a set of steps to get rid of the log segment:
    http://manuals.sybase.com/onlinebook...699;pt=39699#X

Scroll down to Error 4222 which gives the steps necessary to do so.
    Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt

Thanks for comming to my rescue again.I had downloaded the documentation from sybase website however the pointer u gave me error messages guide is available online only.Is there any utility like db2 ? errornumber that prints a detailed explaanation available in sybase.

can i use sp_logdevice to my log segment to a separate device ?

regards
    Hrishy