Cool Unanswered: Do you use IIS or Apache for your php hosting?

Hi,

I have a database at home that I've been messing around with (mysql and php). At first I was using apache to run the database with php and adodb scripts. This worked fine. In my infinate wisdom I thought i'd give IIS ago. Now IIS is doing some funky things with the php etc. I figure this is could be because two things. Either I haven't set up IIS properly (which could be a good possibility), or that apache is generally better at dealing with the php and mysql side of things.

What do you run your database and php programs on?

I have no real preference which one I use as long as it works properly, at the moment it looks like apache but I just want to make sure that its me or because apache is better.

Cheers for your thoughts.

Well, what kind of problems are you getting with php and IIS working together?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeken
    Well, what kind of problems are you getting with php and IIS working together?

Im not getting major errors. The one im getting is:

Notice: Undefined index: DESCRIPTION in C:\web\plustek\equipselect.php on line 31

I dont get this error when using apache. Just a bit odd. They must handle things differently. The database still operates as normal, just when you first enter it the error above shows up. Nothing drastic but looks a little unprofessional. Can I hide errors?

The the php.ini file you can change which errors are reported under the error_reporting= line. You can also place an @ sign in front of a function if you don't want it to report its errors.

You could also try reinstalling PHP and letting it setup IIS configuration automatically if you havn't already tried this.

Thumbs up

I have used both IIS and Apache to run PHP. My personal opinion is that Apache is good when some one has already set it up for you and IIS is best when you have to set it up.

If you could set up Apache (or if it is already set up) then it is better to use it rather than using IIS. PHP is not that much effcient in IIS as it is with Apache. So i rather advice you to Apache. (Note: this is my Personal opinion)

By the way that error that you have reported.., could you show your PHP script. I could possibly find out the solution so that you can use IIS itself...
    Sudar

--
    My Blog

Sudar, have you had the Net PEAR package working on IIS? What about XSLT support? My original plans were to have the back end of my app written in PHP, which would output XML (the data in the XML was to be Ping results from the Net package). I then planned to have ASP on the front end (or technically, any other scripting language that supports XML), but couldn't seem to get MSXML to work (even though it works fine at servers in the office with the same code). Since MSXML was causing problems, I thought I'd just go with PHP as both back and front end, and use PHPs XSLT support to parse the back end PHP's XML, but to no avail.

I looked all around.. many people say to copy DLLs from the PHP directory to system, system32, etc, etc, tweak setting x and y in the config, etc, etc, yet nothing seems to work.

Specifically with the Net PEAR package, I can get it to create the object, and call the Ping function, but it blows up after the ping with a non-specific error. The XML support, not so good either.. I get the error "Call to undefined function: xslt_create()".

I've blown away PHP and reinstalled it.. tried PHP4 and PHP5... I've been using the ISAPI filter, but haven't tried CGI.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Seppuku; 01-04-05 at 19:40.
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Lightbulb

The message, "Undefined Index: DESCRIPTION" sounds to me like a pure-database issue; not an IIS-vs-Apache issue. It sounds like the database file you're referencing may be broken, with a missing or unusable index on the DESCRIPTION field of whatever equipment-table you're trying to select from! Quite probably a transient condition, unrelated to your code and to the environment in which it runs. Check database integrity.
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com

Ill have a look at the database. I must admit my apache and IIS knowledge is limited. Both also are set up by Plesk so I don't want to play to much.

there are many good wamp packages out there, just STFW

i prefer apache2 - mysql4 - php5 on windows xp pro (as develop machine that is)