Unanswered: Oracle personal edition

Hello, I know Oracle software is very expensive, Can I download the personal edition or something else for free or cheaper. Is that possible? My database is about 100,000 kB. Thanks.

You can download the latest Oracle database software for free as long as it isn't used for production. In otherwords, for training or evaluation. Oracle personel will not work if you need to access the data from a different machine then the server. If you want to try out the database software, then go to.

http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/index.html

If all you need is a fast cheap(free) database , you might want to check out the mysql database at

http://dev.mysql.com
    Last edited by beilstwh; 08-06-04 at 10:49.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Thanks, you mean, if i have personal edition, so all the clients can't access the database using their own machine, by the way, the program using oracle developer as front end and oracle (old verson -- may be four years ago) as backend. They need to use this progam now. Be honest, i am very new to Oracle. Do you have any idea?

If there is an available database and they will let you use it, then all you will need is the sql-net software on your workstation to access it, which is free. If you can't put your 100 meg table into the existing database then you will need to host it on a different server. Does this table need to be accessed by the other users at your site? By far, the simplest solution is to load the data into a new table in the existing database. A 100 meg file is small by Oracle standards and you should be able to create the table using sql-loader with no problems.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

i just have some database in sql server. I don't have oracle. And also need more people (at least five) use this program. What is available database means? you mean whether we have another hard drive to store the database? Thanks.

If you have sql-server and only 5 users, why don't you keep using it for such a small amount of data? Oracle would be overkill for what you want.
    Bill

But we got a program outsite that using Oracle database but front end is using Oracle developer. So that is why we should have oracle, is that good to change the database to sql server, the oracle develop front end can match the sql server? I really don't know about it.