Thread: AnyWHO Lookup

Unanswered: AnyWHO Lookup

I am new to Filemaker and trying to create a script that will allow me to look up a company's address on AnyWHO from the database. I have been able to open a URL, and open a field, but not incorporate 3 fields into a url and open that composite.

I am using Filemaker 6.0v2.

Any help would be great.

Aengelas
    Last edited by Aengelas; 08-06-04 at 14:59.

Howdy. If you can get what you want from 1 field, you can create a calculation field to concatenate or create the desired URL you want from the other 3 fields.

urllong = url1 & url2 & url3

You can add other constants/strings in there if needed (I don't know what your parameters are). Good luck!
    --ST

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean. I don't know how to manually enter anything in Filemaker, all I can get are these preset functions. I have significant experience with PHP, but none with Filemaker. If you could show me exactly how to do this it would be wonderful.

Aengelas

Hi. You say you can get FM to open a URL based on a field but not based on 3 fields, right? FileMaker has a field type called a Calculation field that allows you to assign a calculation to a field... you do not have to perform the calculation and then store the value in it, it does the work for you.

Make a field called "URL-long...

...wait.. i'll finsih soon.. gtg...
    --st

Make a field called "URL-anywho" or something. If you make it a Calculation Field (field type), you can assign a forumla to it. You can set URL_anywho = a contcatenation of your other fields or constants needed to construct the proper URL.

URL_anywho = string1field & string2field & string3field
    kinda like in PHP... $URL_anywho = $string1 . $string2 . $string3;

You can then have FM open the URL_anywho calc field as you have already done for a single field.

In PHP, you would have to do the math w/PHP variables in the web page's code. In FM, you use calc fields to do it in the db.

Hope this helps some,
    ST

(Edited by ST to add $ in front of variables... forgot.)

Thanks. I'll give it a try. Can I also add extra text to the field? I need to nest three fields into a url search string.

Howdy. When you create the CALC field, you can add constants and other strings to the CALC the same way... just connect them with & (ampersands) and include "quote marks" around literal strings. You'll get the hang of it when you work with it a little.
    --ST