Unanswered: Report where information fits multiple catagories

I am working on a database for my genealogy contacts and want a report listing each person sorted by the Surname they are researching. Easy Enough.

Problem is that some are researching more than one Surname that connects with my database and I need that contact to appear under both Surnames on the same report.

On the Contacts Information page (Contacts Table) I have two Surname Drop Boxes named Surname and Surname2.

Example:

Magilla Gorilla is researching Hattery (Surname) and Moore (Surname2)
    Cowardly Lion is researching Peacock (Surname) and Hattery (Surname2)
    Fairy Princess is researching Green (Surname2) and Moore (Surname2)

The report should read

Hattery
    Magilla Gorilla ...
    Cowardly Lion ...

Moore
    Magilla Gorilla ...
    Fairy Princess

Peacock
    Cowardly Lion ...

Green
    Fairy Princess ...

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also please remember that I know just enough to screw things up and need explainations for dummies.

Perplexed

So to clarify things a bit..

Each researcher can only have 2 surnames? How do you cope with researchers doing research on 20 people?

Howard

More Confusing All The Time

So far, I am having trouble coping with two surnames. My hope is that if I can figure out two then I can apply the information to 20. There may be a more efficient way to track the list by Surnames but I don't know what it is. So far it is unusual to have more than two or three Surnames in Common unless they are a very close relative.

Any Ideas?

you need a new table perhaps named tblContact_Researches
    Fields:
    ContactID
    SurnameID

This is a many to many table (where a contact can research many surname and a surname can be researched by many contacts).

Then to do the report based on a query involving all three tables (tblContact, tblSurname, and tblContact_Researches. Join the tables appropriately and then do a report grouping by surname.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Perplexed
    So far, I am having trouble coping with two surnames. My hope is that if I can figure out two then I can apply the information to 20. There may be a more efficient way to track the list by Surnames but I don't know what it is. So far it is unusual to have more than two or three Surnames in Common unless they are a very close relative.

Any Ideas?

Ok... a Union query is what you want.

Create a union qry like below;

Code:
    SELECT surname1 AS surname,researcher FROM table1
    UNION SELECT surname2 AS surname, researcher FROM table1;
    The result will be

Surname: Researcher:
    Green Fairy Princess
    Hattery Cowardly Lion
    Hattery Magilla Gorilla
    Moore Fairy Princess
    Moore Magilla Gorilla
    Peacock Cowardly Lion

Then group on the surname in your report. I've only leant about Union queries lately and boy are they a godsend.

You'll just have to add more if you add more surnames

Anyway HTH

Howard

the union query is fine.... for two surnames

see post #4 if you want to expand at all

having multiple surnames on one row in the table is not a good design because of this very problem, changing the structure (and the union query) to add another surname

it's a good idea to start with the many-to-many relationship table as soon as you go from 1 to 2, not from 2 to 20
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

here here.. R937 it would be much better to design the db properly, I was only addessing his immediate problem. Yes perplexed redsign it as per dwakefield has suggested but the union query will work in it's current state.

Good luck

Thank you hpicken and dwakefield,

I appreciate both the quick fix and the design information. I got to learn two things today. Have things working fine now.

You're the best!
    Perplexed