Unanswered: connect to database

Hi,

I am running a mysql database on my site. My ISP provide met with one. I would like to query that database local on my PC. Now my ISP's security policy does not allow any connection from an other location than Localhost.
    Is it possible to have a script or something running on my website to act like a middle-ware componet between the MySQL database and my PC at home.

Thanks in advance for your kind help.

Noel

mysql

Hi Noel ,

Sorry , i did not understand the query all that well .
    You want to have some sort of syncronisation between the DB hosted with your ISP and the DB located locally on your home PC ?

regards

ronald

Hi,

nope. I just want to connect with my local software to the database on my website. But because of security reasons this is not possible. Access to the databsse is restricted to localhost.

Thanks in advance,
    Noel

Unhappy phpmyadmin

Does your Service Provider not provide a phpmyadmin interface for you to make changes to your mysql db ? That is pretty much standard practice .

./ronald

Noel, you need a MySQL Editor on your local machine. This is one that I'm using by WebYog
    http://www.webyog.com/sqlyog/index.php

It allows you to test and configure MySQL DBs on your local machine, with MySQL engine installed, plus you can connect to a remote database. It has features to import and export data and struture of your DB.

There are a few other excellent MySQL Editors, so you may do a search to explore some other products. You may also have a free web based MySQL Admin panel through your website service? it may do what you need?

I had to approve the IP address to allow remote access to my database. There was an option in the ISP control panel under MySQL admin. You may need to contact your ISP for instructions or use a different service provider that allows this.
    Last edited by savbill; 08-14-04 at 09:32.
    ~

Bill