Question Unanswered: Transaction Logs and Microsoft ACCESS

here's a question i've always wondered the answer to,

you have a transaction log on sql 2000 which supposedly records all the sql commands (select, delete, insert, update) that are performed on your database.

now say you use ODBC and Microsoft ACCESS, you create a database file in Microsoft ACCESS with linked tables to your SQL Database via an ODBC connection.

now say you alter the data, maybe delete some records from that sql database using your linked table in Microsoft ACCESS

Would SQL 2000 (or any other version) record these actions in the log, even though the actions were carried out in Microsoft ACCESS? or has doing this completely negated the security offered by the transaction log feature?

do hope someone could shed some light on this, it's been bothering me for a while
    Last edited by sgmuse; 08-09-04 at 06:41.

If the sql server database has been created in full recovery mode (which is the default), I think the answer must be yes.

Clive

Question

yes i set the dbmodel database to be in full recovery mode, thus any newly created database's after that should have that setting.

so in theory if i make a change to a linked sql table in microsoft access the sql server transaction logs for that linked sql table should record it.

Yes indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by crichardson
    Yes indeed.
    the links in the access db are just shortcuts to the sql db
    anything you do there is technically not happening there it is happening on sql server.

check out a MS Access PRoject however instead of a MDB.
    it's designed to call the sql server directly and allows you to see sps views and db diagrams from access
    while still allowing forms reports macros and modules.

love
    steve balmer...

Wink

love?

err.... thanks

(i'm a guy by the way)