Thread: 8.0.0 Beta

Unanswered: 8.0.0 Beta

The Version 8.0.0 beta1 is officially out.

More details
    http://www.postgresql.org
    --Postgresql is the only kind of thing--

Glad to see the windows installer is finally done!

i just tried using the Windows installer, installing while logged in as a server administrator. during the setup, it asks me to create a non-administrator user, which it creates for me. i had to edit the user that it added and put the user into the "Users" group because it was in NO group at all by default.

at the end of the setup, it gives me a "Failed to initdb: 1! " error message and it rolls back the entire installation. the install log file claims that it cant start the service as a user who is an administrator but that is bullshit... there is no possible way!

i logged into the server as the postgres (non-administrator) user and tried the install again and i get the same error.

has anyone tried to install this yet?

windows install

I installed it not as the admin user
    and it took me 5 minutes for going through the installer

and it runs wihtout problems on my system
    Windows XP

I was also connecting from linux with psql on my windows machine without problems
    http://www.postgresql.org
    --Postgresql is the only kind of thing--

mozkill are you using XP home by anychance?

Also a side note: very cool that you can get it via bittorrent

im using Windows 2000-SP4 . i logged out of the domain, logged in locally as the "postgres" user and tried to install as the postgres user. i suppose i can go back and try again but i cant imagine what im doing wrong. my postgres user belongs to the "Users" nt group. my install also fails if i do not check the "initialize db" checkmarks during the install.

doesn't the installer use some sort of "runas" to finish up the end of the installation as a non-administrator user?

if i install while logged in as the postgres user, then why would the install STILL complain that it cannot run the initdb command as admin user?????

I installed it while in an administrator account, but didn't install it as a service. As a result, it installed fine, but I have to switch users and start the process under that user, then switch back if I want to do any kind of work under the administrator user.

I prefer to do it this way just so I don't have to futz around with starting and stopping a service.

alright, i was wrong. it turns out that i had "Authenticated Users" in my Administrators group. because of this, all new users added to my system were Administrators.

i am a QA engineer, and from other testing at my work I had left that setting in there by accident.

anyways, the error in the installation error log was accurate. i should have trusted the error message better.