Unanswered: Convert Text to Time

Dear all,

I have 30 tables with the same stracture (01 to 30). One of the fields is duration but has a text data type.

Is there a way to convert the duration field into "Time" date type with format "Long Time" using one query only?

If i have to have one query for each table, can i create a new query or a procedure through a command button that runs all the queries?

Thank you

George

Provided Answers: 1
    SQL Server is pretty good about implicitly converting text to time. If the time for is really odd, then you may need to use the CONVERT function or create a custom function.

Can you do this for all 30 tables in a single query? MAYBE using a union query, but don't count on it.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

I am not using SQL Server but Microsoft Access.

I time had an odd format but i have managed to manipulate it to the format 00:00:00.

I only need to convert the field from text to date/time. I have tried convert() and CDate() but i cannot make it to work.

My table is named "01" and the field "Duration".

Can anyone provide me with the full code to make the change.

I will use "Macros" and "RunSQLQuery" to make the converion for all tables.

This is the last problem i have to solve in order to make it work. I have been working on this database for the last week.

Please note that i am new in SQL with MS Access. I have started only one moth ago

Provided Answers: 54
    I would suggest that you post this question in the MS-Access forum. They have more experience with the Access GUI and might be able to give you better suggestions.

I tried using Cdate("13:23:45") in an Access query, and it worked nicely for me. I suspect that that is the conversion that you need, but I'm not certain about what code you need to derive a properly formatted time string.

-PatP

Ok, I thought of something else.

There is no need to change the data type of the table. I just created a query with all the fields of the table but for Duration i put: CDate([Duration]). The query returns the results as Date/Time and from there i can perform the calculations i require.

It works.

Thanks again, problem solved.

Provided Answers: 54
    Gee, you just have to love it when you inadvertanly solve a problem!

-PatP