Unanswered: Why can I do everything but add

When in the query Design I am having problems, I am trying to do a simple sum of tow columns, but cant seem to get it to work, I can get it to subtract, multiply and everything else but when I try to add I have problems.
    This is what I mean:
    Every calculating type works besides addition
    For instance:

Subtraction works, its subtracts poverty from family
    Family Total: [FAMILY]-[pov] = family-poverty total
    Result of this is Family Total: 33,145 - 2,513 = 30632 works fine

Multiplication works also
    Family Total: [FAMILY]*[pov] = family * pov total
    Result of this is Family Total: 33,145 * 2,513 = 83293385 works fine

BUT the problem is when I do this:
    Family Total: [FAMILY]+[pov] = family number + Poverty number
    Result of this is Family Total: 33,145 + 2,513 = 331452513 <<<this is what I dont get why instead of adding up the numbers does it just place the numbers next to each other, it works fine for every other type of calculation is there some simple step I am mising or something I am not doing?

I hope i gave enough info

Access is confusing the + sign as the concatenation operator. I've never run into this myself. Have you tried the sum function of those two fields (I assume they are number types)

Quote Originally Posted by mmbosman
    Access is confusing the + sign as the concatenation operator. I've never run into this myself. Have you tried the sum function of those two fields (I assume they are number types)
    Turn out that I had the numbers defined as text and that is why everything worked but addition...thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chevi97
    Turn out that I had the numbers defined as text and that is why everything worked but addition...thanks
    .. And how you fix that is change the types OR do: ...CDbl([FAMILY])+CDbl([pov]) ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Quote Originally Posted by M Owen
    .. And how you fix that is change the types OR do: ...CDbl([FAMILY])+CDbl([pov]) ...
    Daym your good can I email you if I hit snags I am trying to develop a db with a ton of tables and what not and I am still a rookie I have a few people here at work who are pretty good but in case they cant figure it out can I just email you?