Thread: Remote Server

Unanswered: Remote Server

Hi all,

I am trying to locate some scripts for create/update and a nightly scripts that run to update some databases.

Now within the server itself there are no scripts that are running beside the normal system stored procedure.

I notice that the server is a remote server is it possible for the scripts that are running coming from another server.

Once I click on the server (NTBVM) and right click on the property RPC is check, and 'map remote logins to differents local logins' has the radio dial marked however when you look at the list below no information is recorded.

Please help

Thanking you in advance

Provided Answers: 54
    Greetings, M'Lady! It's good to see you again.

While it is unlikely, it is possible that the scripts would run on another server.

Is this something you are investigating because it is happening now, or something you are planning so it will happen soon?

-PatP

It something that I was asked to fix and give a time line.

One of the task is to modify registry settings for a OSI servlet(What is the world).

The network admin said that there are scripts that run and I've look everywhere for the scripts and can't find them.

The frontend of this tool call OSI and the backend is SQL. I wonder if I would be able to find the scripts in the tool itself.

I don't have a clue.

Thanks for responding so fast.

Lystra

Ok, it is pretty easy to define OSI, and servlet, although it is somewhat peculiar to see them used together that way.

One thing that might help you is to run the SQL profiler overnight to see who/what connects to your server. That will at least give you a few "breadcrumbs" to start from!

Another "high probability" place to check is the SQL Agent running on the SQL Server. It is quite easy to schedule scripts (and many other things) to run as needed against your SQL server or other machines.

-PatP

I have check the sql server agent nothing.

I will try profiler overnight.

Since servlet--is a small program that runs on a server, maybe the scripts are running from there?

Thanks

Lystra

If there was nothing in the SQL Agent, the servlet would be my next guess. Do any of the network/admin/IT types have any kind of documentation for this system whatsoever? It sounds to me like you are the new kid on the block, being sent out to clean up a runaway freight train that has been careening unattended through the office for quite some time!

-PatP

Yup, you can't be more right. This is my three week at this job. I could tell you the horror stories from the first week.

But I have to admit I love this job because it is pushing me to be a better dba. My last job was a contractor for the government and I was not able to use my troubleshooting skills to the fullest. Here I have to.

Lystra

A friend of mine is in a similar situation in the DC area. She's been developing MS-Access for one of the government's largest construction contractors for an age. She's reached the point where she wants to go further than they are willing/able to manage, and she's trying to figure out what her next step should be...

Unfortunately, I've been out of the DC area for too long, so I've really lost touch with the IT/business community there. Oh well, can't win them all!

-PatP

It's pretty much the same as you have left it.

Nothing have change.

Lystra