Unanswered: Data Verification

Hello! I need help with a problem on a Access Form I have created. The form actually consists of fields from three different tables. The main purpose is to enter employee information. SO if you have an employee, you can enter their id and it will pop up their information. Okay so here is the problem. The first two fields are both for SSN...one is labeled employee id and the other Social Security Number. Both fields have to be there in order to pull up a person's information (or at least that is the only way I have found to do it). The problem is, if you enter the first field correctly and then have a typo in the second field, access automatically updates field number 1 with that typo. I want to know if there is an macros or codes that can be entered that will compare field 1 and 2 and if they are not correct, then present an error message to the data entry operator. Please help! Thanks!

It sounds to me first off that your normalization isnt quite right. There should be no need to store that person's ssn in 2 seperate fields. Maybe that has nothing to do with it. If you could please inform me of your project and I will see if I can come up with a solution.

JS
    Have you ever thought about thinking on purpose?

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs
    Web/Database Development and Consulting
    The-Patriot.net by Patriot Designs

Thanks

Okay, here goes. We will be using this form to enter applicants throughout our company. Say a person has applied before. We want their record to come up automatically if their SSN is entered again. That way we can pull up there information, check for errors, and add any new references or new positions being applied for. Originally I had two tables...applicant info and reference info. To make the form operate the way I wanted it to, I had to make a junction table (or rather that was the only way to get the form to do what I wanted it to). I have only been working with access for about 5 months and have had two classes, neither of which have given me any insight. It was actually the instructions idea to try the junction table. I hope this explains it a little more. Thanks for looking.

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back with you, but what I would recommend is that you create an unbound form with a text box. Allow someone to type the SSN in that box and when they click okay it then checks to see if that is already in the database, and if it is open that record with your form. If it isnt open a blank record with that form.

JS
    Have you ever thought about thinking on purpose?

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs
    Web/Database Development and Consulting
    The-Patriot.net by Patriot Designs