Unanswered: ODBC--connection to 'unlocking' failed
We are using an Access 2002 front-end with SQL Server 2000 as the database.
There is a table (dbo_PrivateGroup) that if you try to open it in the table view, in a query, in a report, or through the application, you get the following Error message:
ODBC--connection to 'unlocking' failed.
Does anyone know what this means and how I am supposed to get around this?
I tried it on the actual server itself and I can read the table through Access, through the application when it is running, and through Enterprise Manager. This machine is logged in with "Administrator" as the user id.
The table is on a different database than the other tables in the application.
It is a user table. And I checked the permissions and all users have select, insert, and delete permissions allowed. However, when I go to look at the columns property, none are checked for any user and when I go to check the boxes for all columns, I hit Apply, then Close. When I go back into that screen for that given user, the columns weren't saved.
My database knowledge is creating tables, stored procedures, and triggers. They don't have a DBA here and my knowledge is limited. Is the problem in SQL Server or Access?
I don't know if any of this makes sense. But if it does, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Iíve never seen the error, but we use Access 2000 Ė it could be a new one. As itís an ODBC error I would say that the problem is on the Access side because Access canít get to the SQL Server. Do your users have read, write and create permissions in the Access directory? Access creates a lock file called databasename.ldb (Well, Access 2000 does). If you canít create the lock file, Access canít maintain the locks.
When you have given full permissions to the row, you donít need to give permissions to specific columns Ė the user already has it, so SQL Server doesnít save it again. If you remove, say, select permissions on the row for a specific user, you will then be able to grant select permissions on specific columns.
Last edited by andy4000; 08-12-04 at 05:40.
Reason: Missed my sig
I went and did an Update Table Link Manager and selected the ODBC setting that wasa for the database that held the table (since it was different than the rest of the tables). Once it updated that, it woreked perfectly. I just need to refresh the table link manager on each client that needs to see this table, which fortunately is only 2.