Unanswered: Reporting from ASP Pages

Hi Group,
    What's the best way to produce reports from an ASP Page. At the moment, we are using Excel which is on the IIS Server on our Intranet but it is causing all sorts of issues. Yes I know this is 'illegal' as there are licensing issues etc involved.

What is the best way?

Kind Regards

Depends on the level of detail your reports need to have.

A straight data extract can be done by creating a CSV file through ASP, which would map into Excel, but you won't have any special functions or formatting. It would be raw text.

If you need bar graphs and stuff, you could install a server side component to create charts and display the report as the webpage itself.

If you need complex reports with graphical capbilities, you could use Crystal Reports.
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

give us sme details about what you want your report to look like and include and we can probably give you more info.

personally I go with CSV files. asp is not really designed for doing reports, excel does a much better job. use the tools for what they were designed for and things generally work out for the best.

I belive that there is some type of class you can register, like a server side asp crystal reports component. Do a google search and look for it.

Also I don't belive that this would be illeagal using Excel if you have Volume Licensing.