Exclamation Unanswered: Chinese Characters...corupt data?

I have a very simple Access Database. We use a form to enter and view data in an "eye-pleasing" way. We have 1047 records and this morning 6 of them were in Chinese, or Japanese, or Korean, or some character/language set that I can't read. Stuff like this:

Admin: 潲、䣾祡獥‬桃

and

City: 杮B埾湩整⁲

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by RickyB77
    I have a very simple Access Database. We use a form to enter and view data in an "eye-pleasing" way. We have 1047 records and this morning 6 of them were in Chinese, or Japanese, or Korean, or some character/language set that I can't read. Stuff like this:

Admin: 潲、䣾祡獥‬桃

and

City: 杮B埾湩整⁲

Any ideas?
    Corrupt data. You got extended characters ... Try running a compact & repair ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

i haven't seen that one before, but Office in general (Access & Outlook in particular) gets hopelessly lost sometimes when you switch from roman characters & text-direction to another (e.g. Arabic or Hebrew) and back again. i have many e-mail chains which have swapped <- and -> text direction cos my correspondant's default setting is <- text even tho they switched to msg in roman ->: it ends up as an unholy mess. Typing "Hi Guys, Bye." produces:
    ,Hi Guys
    .Bye
    and sort-order is often scrambled.

has somone using non-roman -> opened your db?

izy
    Last edited by izyrider; 08-12-04 at 13:33.
    currently using SS 2008R2

I have a split database, do I need to run compact and repair on the back_end too?

So, I tried Compact and Repair on the Front End and Back End of our split database. No help. Any other ideas?

Since my wife is Japanese, I have a little experience with the Japanese language in a non-Asian Windows environment... Try downloading from www. microsoft.com the Global IME for Chinese, Korean and Japanese. It will install certain fonts and a program to read and write Asian caracters for non-Asian Windows software.
    I don't know if the installation has any effect in Access, but that question is maybe something for the Help desk of Microsoft itself...

From "Trombone", Belgium.

With the risk of not answering the question...
    I have a similar problem. Multi-user db with FE and BE. About twice a year get Chinese (or similar) characters in one row of a major table. Not sure what the cause is... unlikely to be row updating conflict, but always possible. Unlikely user installed Chinese fonts etc. Would like to get to the bottom of this. Anyone else with this type of experience could you please let us know your circumstances? Perhaps together we can find a cause and solution. Thanks,
    Winston