Thread: combo box value

Question Unanswered: combo box value

During the monthly process that the user follows, they will use every value in a combo box (a list of part numbers for the selected account). I would like to provide them with a way to go to the next value in the list automatically. Something like a moveNext property. For example, if they are viewing the 4th part number in the list, I want to change it the 5th when they are finished. I can't find anything that will allow me to select a combo box value based on the index value. Is there a way to do this that I am missing?

I would store the last used value in a control table and on open of the form, set the default value of the combo box to the next value.

Well, that leads back to my original question. How do I get to the next value in the combo box? I don't know the values and I can't find any way to reference the value based on an index.

And as a side note, the form is not being closed during the process, it is just changing part numbers and the related information.

Steve

If the form is not closing, then my solution won't help; however, there is another problem. When should the value be changed if not on open? Once you decide when to do this, use code to open a recordset of the rowsource starting at the current value, then rs.movenext and assign the new value. You may want to open the top 2 for the recordset query so it remains small.

You could use something like this:

Private Sub cmd_Click()
    Dim rs As Recordset, qdf As QueryDef
    Set qdf = CurrentDb.QueryDefs("lstFilesQy")
    Set rs = qdf.OpenRecordset
    rs.FindFirst ("YourField='" & TextBoxName & "' ")
    rs.MoveNext
    TextBoxName = rs!YourField
    rs.Close
    Set rs = Nothing
    Set qdf = Nothing
    End Sub

This works great if the query is a parameterized query because you can do something like this:

qdf![Forms!ChqList!EndDate] = [Forms]![ChqList]![EndDate]

Which is great if you do not want to use Find First.

Ok, I can see the idea, just a few questions on implementing it.

The rowsource for the combo box is currently

Code:

SELECT DISTINCT [RC-AP-Open].[PartNum] FROM [RC-AP-Open] WHERE 
    ((([RC-AP-Open].[ACCOUNT])=[Forms]![frmReconcile]![cboAccount])) 
    ORDER BY [RC-AP-Open].[PartNum];
    [RC-AP-Open] is a query that takes care of a lot of the details that are used at many places in the form such as formatting, data filtering and some calculations.

How do I get this value for the row source into my query that I make when changing part numbers. I hardcoded it at the moment and it works fine (or will after some error handling) but I don't like the duplication this created.

How are you gettting the row source and the recordset to run off of the same thing?

Steve

I do not use select queries for row sources. I usually save them as queries and put the name of the query in the row source. I would save the following as a parsed query called PartsQy:

PARAMETERS [Forms]![frmReconcile]![cboAccount] Text ( 255 );
    SELECT DISTINCT [RC-AP-Open].[PartNum] FROM [RC-AP-Open] WHERE
    ((([RC-AP-Open].[ACCOUNT])=[Forms]![frmReconcile]![cboAccount]))
    ORDER BY [RC-AP-Open].[PartNum];

Then using my code from the previous post:

Set qdf = CurrentDb.QueryDefs("PartsQy")
    qdf![Forms!frmReconcile!cboAccount] >= [Forms]![frmReconcile]![cboAccount]
    Set rs = qdf.OpenRecordset

Because of the greater than sign, you can use rs.movenext to get the next value.