Unanswered: importing questions

Hey all,

Here is my question:
    How would I import File.txt into a table in a fixed format but using a button on a form? Is is possible? I can do it manually of course but I want to dumb it down for the user. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks.
    Richard.

In code, I would open the file, start a loop for each line and use several mid statements to add a record to a recordset. I like this method since I can verify the data as I bring it in.

Another option is to link to the file, and run a query to append the data to a table. If you use this, then you have to figure out what to do if/when there are errors.

You could also try the TransferText command. I use this when I know the data is reliable like from my bank.

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by jmrSudbury
    In code, I would open the file, start a loop for each line and use several mid statements to add a record to a recordset. I like this method since I can verify the data as I bring it in.

Another option is to link to the file, and run a query to append the data to a table. If you use this, then you have to figure out what to do if/when there are errors.

You could also try the TransferText command. I use this when I know the data is reliable like from my bank.
    If that's your preferred method, you should really consider using arrays and the split function.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***