Arrow Unanswered: graphics incorporated into Inventory database

Can it be done?? If I have a graphic/photo of a warehouse, could I identify location structure on the graphic and then have my inventory be shown on the graphic relative to it's actual location in the warehouse. Of course, the inventory in the database would have a location that corresponds to the location structure on the graphic. I do not know if this can be done but we would like to give a visual to our personnel of the exact location of the stock.

Thanks,
    B&R

You could create a small square label acd set the background color to something that will show up on your image. Then use VBA to control (i.e. change the values) of the .Top and .Left properties of the label to move it around over your image.

If you have the locations stored in a table, add fields for the top and left property and refer to those fields to change the label's property values to the current location's top and left field values.

Hope this helps!
    http://AccessDB.Info

You live and learn. At any rate, you live. - Douglas Adams

The other option I have seen is to use ODBC capable cad graphics software. eg... Autocad.This allowsyou to link a "Location" table to the image and assigns the image to the relative space in the drawing.
    Needs the help of someone with good cad skills but can be made 3D and/or dynamic.

B&R,

As requested, I created a sample and posted it here.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Cosmos75; 02-24-05 at 22:50. Reason: Updated link
    http://AccessDB.Info

You live and learn. At any rate, you live. - Douglas Adams

ive been down this track in the passed. graphical info is great at first and can help. WATCH FOR THE RELOCATION AND SLOT ALLOCATION. Its vital to put in place a work around for the future development of the warehouse, otherwise you may have to do a major piece of work

just a guide to keep the thought process going

regards

gareth

A mixture of the suggestions by Cosmos75 and beshorus, You could use a background image in an Excel Spredsheet with the cell Column/Row width/Height set to make a grid for your warehouse coordinents. You would want to open Excel to show the image and use VB to highlight or move a marker to the desired cell location.

Some drawbacks to this: The the size of the background does not scale with changes in the size of the grid. The scale as an OLE Access object does not match the source. you'd have to open the worksheet to be sure of the correct scale, easy with OLE Linking, and after getting everything set protect the sheet to prevent changes.
    ~

Bill