Question Unanswered: Not getting an exact match upto decimal places...

Hi,

This is strange....

I am getting my source data from another system am storing the SaleAmount of each product in a field the data type of which is [decimal](12, 2).

For some products I am getting an exact match (upto 2 decimal places) as compared with my source data BUT for some other products the value before the decimal places is correct but the 2 digits after the decimal place does not match with the source data

Even if this sounds stupid, can you please guide me. Am i missing some very basic and common sense thing?

Many TIA.

Could you post some examples? Also, what RDBMS is the remote data source? What's the remote OS? What's the local data source RDBMS (which version)? What's the local OS? What's the syntax with wich you are pulling the data? More information please....

Regards,

hmscott

Quote Originally Posted by Joozh
    Hi,

This is strange....

I am getting my source data from another system am storing the SaleAmount of each product in a field the data type of which is [decimal](12, 2).

For some products I am getting an exact match (upto 2 decimal places) as compared with my source data BUT for some other products the value before the decimal places is correct but the 2 digits after the decimal place does not match with the source data

Even if this sounds stupid, can you please guide me. Am i missing some very basic and common sense thing?

Many TIA.
    Have you hugged your backup today?

Hi,

Both the source and destination data is on SQL server. Don't knwo what else to add except the following examples ( hope these will provide you with a more clear picture??):

Product XYZ
    Total Sales (from Source Data) $ 1,234.56
    Total Sales (after importing from source) $ 1,234.71

Product 123 (all okay here...)
    Total Sales (from Source Data) $ 2,127.60
    Total Sales (after importing from source) $ 2,127.60

Product ABC
    Total Sales (from Source Data) $ 127.32
    Total Sales (after importing from source) $ 127.47

Thanks.

I don't have a huge amount of experience in this particular area; I have never had an issue like this one before. The only commonality in the mismatch that I noted was that after importing the data, the value was $0.15 higher in both cases; does that perhaps trigger something in your mind?

What's the process for getting the data? Is it a DTS package? An export/import using test files. Sorry; but I need more information in order to be able to troubleshoot the issue.

You might try:
    1. Posting the DDL for the source table
    2. Posting the DDL for the destination table
    3. Posting the script you use for exporting/importing the data

Regards,

hmscott

Quote Originally Posted by Joozh
    Hi,

Both the source and destination data is on SQL server. Don't knwo what else to add except the following examples ( hope these will provide you with a more clear picture??):

Product XYZ
    Total Sales (from Source Data) $ 1,234.56
    Total Sales (after importing from source) $ 1,234.71

Product 123 (all okay here...)
    Total Sales (from Source Data) $ 2,127.60
    Total Sales (after importing from source) $ 2,127.60

Product ABC
    Total Sales (from Source Data) $ 127.32
    Total Sales (after importing from source) $ 127.47

Thanks.
    Have you hugged your backup today?