Unanswered: What's the difference? (Part 2)

Hi all,

Is there a difference between the DBA and the SA or are they one in the same. I was reading a previous thead and came across that the SA is the powerful God almighty and the DBA is the just God.

Thanks

Lystra

Provided Answers: 54
    Methinks we have a minor mixup in terminology here.

A DBA is a person, otherwise known as a Data Base Administrator. Most of them are mortals of one sort or another.

A dbo is a SQL Server pseudo-user. It is the "data base owner", which is typically linked to a single SQL Server login. The database owner can do almost anything within their own database.

sa is the SQL Server login for the "system administrator". sa was the prototype for the sys_admin group, which has the ability to administer the server (start it up, shut it down, change server wide settings, add/drop databases/logins, etc). The sysadmin group implicitly owns all databases.

-PatP

But what if you are using your login (lwilliams) and you are suppose to have DBA rights however they (the Server Admin) have not put your login in to the sysadmin group claiming that is not how they do things around here WHATEVER is my thought. Now they have created a group call SQL Admin and put your login into that group. There is going to be a problem there because that group is not a member of the sysadmin so when you try to execute certain jobs you get errors.

So that is why I am asking if there is a difference. Because now I am put into a position to tell other people how to do there job (Tech Man). Because I am the new person and I also hate to say it but I am a woman that maybe I don't know what I am talking about.

God help.

p.s.
    Is the tech world male dominated??

Provided Answers: 54
    The tech world as a whole is pretty much gender-neutral, but in some organizations the technology groups are still rather male-oriented. That is a problem, but a bit of patient pressure will correct it.

In their defense, I've seen a number of systems go down in flames due to someone new to the organization and pushing into new technology making poor decisions. I've become a VERY skeptical SOB in my old age! If they've been burned before, you may have to work to earn their trust.

I'd suggest that you keep track of the problems that you encounter for a short but reasonable (maybe a week or two) period of time. If the problems really interfere with getting work done, you may have to shorten that period. Once you've documented the problems, take them to your supervisor and try to find a compromise that will let you work efficiently without causing major problems in the organization.

-PatP