Unanswered: Using ASP to pull from Progress DB with Merant...

Hi,

I've got a real strange problem here. I'm trying to pull back data from a Progress DB using ASP/VBScript via Merant drivers . I can connect fine. The problem is in the SELECT statement.

sql = "SELECT * FROM PUB.debt" works fine and brings back a recordset (albeit huge!).

When I try sql = "SELECT * FROM PUB.debt WHERE debt.debt-code = 'var'"

I get the error [PROGRESS]Column not found/specified (7520).

Now, I'm definitely using the correct column names as I reference them when I use the SELECT * statement. For some reason it just won't let me use column names in the select statement.

No matter what valid column name I try to pull from the table, I get the same error.

Is there any naming convention I should be using here (bit of a newbie) or something I should be doing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

What if you try:

sql = "SELECT * FROM PUB.debt WHERE PUB.debt.debt-code = 'var'"
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

I don't know what Progess is like as far as it's reserved words and syntax goes but personally I would guess it is because of the column name (debt-code)

It is probably looking for a column called debt and trying to subtract code from it.

In MSSQL you would get past this by using square brackets.... eg [debt].[debt-code] I suspect there is something similar for Progress....

Cheers guys. Still can't get it though. I've tried every possible combination of brackets and dbname.tblname.columnname naming conventions for the table in the select statement.

When I use the select * and I then move to the first record, I can display the data using the same column names that cause an error when I include them in the select statement.

Ok. So it's something with your result string. Can you change the column name?

Er.. not result string. My bad... your criteria string..

The displaying of the results is not on the sql side of things and uses different naming conventions and the like. I still suspect it is the debt-code.

As Sepp said can you rename the column and try that?