Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Date

Unanswered: Date

does anyone see anything wrong with this statement, sql keeps telling me "'Date' is not a recognized function name."

Code:
    INSERT INTO [Exlookup-Changes] ( [Last Name], [First Name], MI, Sex, DOB, [Date], [Action taken] )
    SELECT [30 day exclusion].[Last Name], [30 day exclusion].[First Name], [30 day exclusion].MI, [30 day exclusion].Sex, [30 day exclusion].DOB, [30 day exclusion].timestamp, "ADDED" AS Expr1
    FROM [30 day exclusion]
    WHERE ((([30 day exclusion].timestamp) Between Date()-2 And Date()+2));

Try:
    Between GetDate()-2 And GetDate()+2

Regards,

hmscott

Quote Originally Posted by desireemm
    does anyone see anything wrong with this statement, sql keeps telling me "'Date' is not a recognized function name."

Code:
    INSERT INTO [Exlookup-Changes] ( [Last Name], [First Name], MI, Sex, DOB, [Date], [Action taken] )
    SELECT [30 day exclusion].[Last Name], [30 day exclusion].[First Name], [30 day exclusion].MI, [30 day exclusion].Sex, [30 day exclusion].DOB, [30 day exclusion].timestamp, "ADDED" AS Expr1
    FROM [30 day exclusion]
    WHERE ((([30 day exclusion].timestamp) Between Date()-2 And Date()+2));
    Have you hugged your backup today?

Provided Answers: 54
    I would use:
    Code:
    INSERT INTO [Exlookup-Changes] (
       [Last Name], [First Name], MI
    ,  Sex, DOB, [Date], [Action taken]
    )  SELECT
       a.[Last Name], a.[First Name], a.MI
    ,  a.Sex, a.DOB, a.[timestamp], "ADDED" AS Expr1
       FROM [30 day exclusion] AS a
    WHERE a.[timestamp] BETWEEN DateAdd(day, -2, GetDate())
       AND DateAdd(day, 2, GetDate())
    SQL Server uses GetDate() while Jet uses Date() to get the current date. While it works to add an integer to a date to add days, I really, REALLY don't like it... I think that is a bad habit to get into, because different products implement dates differently, and this is just an accident waiting to happen.

I substituted an alias of a for the [30 day exclusion] formal qualifier in the SELECT list. That just makes things easier for me to read/understand.

If you have the option to change the name of the timestamp column, I would STRONGLY suggest that you change it. timestamp is a reserved word and a datatype in SQL Server. That would be like having a column named CHAR in my opinion, it can be made to work, but why set yourself up for grief?

-PatP

error

the problem I'm having now is an error message that says "Invalid Column Name Added"

Code:
    FROM [30 day exclusion]
    WHERE ((([30 day exclusion].timestamp) Between GetDate()-2 And GetDate()+2));

stored procedure

can I make that into a stored procedure and use the DECLARE STATEMENT
    DECLARE
    {{ @local_variable data_type }

Try using [timestamp] instead of using it "bare" (without the brackets). If that fixes the problem, it is what I was referring to in my earlier post in this message thread.

-PatP

0 rows affected

well I tried doing it this way, and it tells me 0 rows affected. Pat can you explain what you mean please.
    are you saying take the brackets off timestamp instead of it being [timestamp]
    (a.[Last Name], a.[First Name], a.MI
    , a.Sex, a.DOB, a.[timestamp], "ADDED" AS Expr1
    FROM [30 day exclusion] AS a
    WHERE a.[timestamp] BETWEEN DateAdd(day, -2, GetDate())
    AND DateAdd(day, 2, GetDate()))

Code:
    SELECT [30 day exclusion].[Last Name], [30 day exclusion].[First Name], [30 day exclusion].MI, [30 day exclusion].Sex, [30 day exclusion].DOB, [30 day exclusion].timestamp, 'ADDED' AS Expr1
    FROM [30 day exclusion]
    WHERE ((([30 day exclusion].timestamp) Between GetDate()-2 And GetDate()+2));
    Result 0 Rows affected

Check out what BOL has to say about timestamp first. Because it is a datatype in SQL Server, and a really unusual one at that, it gets treated differently by SQL itself as well as many tools. Because of that, I would avoid having a column named timestamp like the plague, unless it was really a timestamp.

The work around is to always, always, always use brackets around the timestamp column. Those will force the well behaved applications to treat it as a column name, not as a semi-magical reference.

-PatP

Thank you

Thanks Pat for helping...and Um one other thing are you feeling ok???

Quote Originally Posted by desireemm
    Thanks Pat for helping...and Um one other thing are you feeling ok???
    Who is Ok?

-PatP

Wink or

Whats Ok??? Ya know as in whats qualified as normal...depending on your Interpretation

Ummm

what I meant was are you feeling alright?? umm Nevermind

Sorry, that's a long, slippery slope!

-PatP

Oh Ok

Ok Pat thanks for your help

Just to kind of drag this thread back onto topic, did my comments about the use of timestamp help clear things up, or did they just further muddy the water?

-PatP