Thread: Help agian pls

Unanswered: Help agian pls

thanks guys
    Last edited by desireemm; 08-13-04 at 18:30.

invalid

In access you can use and "Exper" how would you use one in sql keep getting invalid column name

Provided Answers: 54
    It looks like you are trying to cook an Access query using a Query Analyzer pot. The result tends to boil over rather easily!

Translating that Jet-SQL into MS-SQL yields:
    Code:
    INSERT INTO [Exlookup-Changes] (
       [Last Name], [First Name], MI
    ,  Sex, DOB, [Date], [Action taken]
    )  SELECT
       [Extended Exclusions].[Last Name]
    ,  [Extended Exclusions].[First Name]
    ,  [Extended Exclusions].MI
    ,  [Extended Exclusions].Sex
    ,  [Extended Exclusions].DOB
    ,  [Extended Exclusions].[Exp Date]
    ,  'EXPIRED' AS Expr1
       FROM [Extended Exclusions]
       WHERE [Extended Exclusions].[Exp Date]
          BETWEEN DateAdd(day, -2, GetDate()) AND DateAdd(day, 2, GetDate())
    -PatP

Thank you

thank you Pat your the Best just a matter of learning MS sql, and forget about Jetsql

Provided Answers: 54
    You don't really have to forget about Jet. Actually the MS-Access/Jet combination makes it easy to "explore" data.

The thing that you have to keep in mind is that Jet existed long before there were any effective SQL standards. Because of that, the guys that designed it borrowed a lot from the file oriented databases and tools of the day. Those techniques are really convenient for the "data monger" that likes to roll up their sleeves and get into their data, but they really don't scale up very well.

SQL Server was designed to implement the SQL-92 standards, and it goes pretty much "by the book". Because of that, it scales very nicely... Actually FAR beyond what most people expect of it.

You can blend the two reasonably well, but when you do you are limited by the "smallest pipe" in the process, which is almost always the MS-Access/Jet combination. I'm not saying that there is anything inherantly wrong with the tools, I actually love them for what they do well.

In the same sense that I don't do spreadsheets using MS-Word, even though you can do some really creative things with tables, I also don't use MS-Access/Jet to manage OLTP type databases. I do have cases where I use DTS to build rollup/extract files that my users love to play in, but they don't get to play in the "big pool" without a very watchful "life-guard" to limit the damage they can do to themselves and others.

-PatP

:)

Thank you Pat that explains alot, good grief you've been programming in sql for a long time I assume. I wish I had your knowledge, gonna take me awhile to get to your level...a looong while. But I really like working with sql, I'll get there eventually