Unanswered: Which has more overhead

I need to insert some tracking values in records once the user is through on the form. I'm wondering what has the least amount of overhead, an update statement with a docmd.runsql or the use of a recordset then matching bookmark values and putting them in that way. Or does it really even make a difference, which I'm sure raises philosophical questions for us all. Thanks for any replies.

Philosophy is for programmers with nothing else to do on a nice summer evening. It makes absolutely no difference for the overhead since both use the same method. However, a recordset is faster than a macro.

Actually I would be running the docmd.runsql from code; does that make a difference.

I don't think that it makes a difference. Speed depends on the size of the recordset. If, by overhead you mean memory overhead?

I don't think that it makes a difference since both run in interpreter mode when the db is not compiled into .mde. Speed depends on the size of the recordset, the processor, memory, disk I/O speed etc. In a db with a few thousand records, there is no difference.