Unanswered: MySQL Passwords etc.

I have been developing a Website using PHP and MySQL. I installed MySQL using all the defaults, and created a Database and some Tables. I am also running IIS. And to make changes to the Database or Tables, I am using SQLyog.
    When I create a PHP script to access the Database, I have been using "localhost", "root" and no password. And everything worked fine.
    I have recently setup a PHP/MySQL Host and when this was setup, the Username and Password were "abcdef" and "ghijkl1" respectively.
    Then in my scripts, I now have two sets of Username/Password, and I just comment out the one I don't need, depending whether I am testing on my PC or on the Web Site. And everything worked fine here as well.
    Then, today, I decided to see if I could change my Local Username/Password from "root" etc, to "abcdef" and "ghijkl1" to match the ones on the Web Site, and therefore not have to remember to swap them over in the scripts every time I upload them.
    But unfortunately, I have not been able to get this to work. And now I cannot access the Database or Tables with either SQLyog or the scripts.
    Does anyone know, in a foolproof step-by-step way, how I can set this up, or even to restore the local Username to "root"?
    Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am not very much into PHP but if I get this right, now you're not able to access the database either. because u donno the root password or becasue you donno how to address the database with particular user?