Thread: FMP to Access

Unanswered: FMP to Access

Hey all. Ok so I impressed my boss by making a cool Macro for her Excell Spreadsheet and now she wants me to convert her Old File Maker Pro 4.1 database to Access. I never worked with Access before, not sure what it has to do with a Macro in Excell but whatever. Anyway I saved the FMP database as a .CSV, imported to Excell and got all the info in different columns. Ok so now I need to import from Excell to Access. Donno how to do it. Tried just copying and pasting the entire sheet and I can get all the colomns to come over but only 22 of the 10,519 entires in the Spreadsheet.

Can someone help??

how about using the import command

File -> Get External Data -> Import

Change the type of file to be Text and just browse to your file then follow the wizard

this should import your CSV to Access

HTH

David

Dude!!!

DUDE!!! Dave, You are everywhere!! you work in all the Forums??? Oh by the way Went to your Website, You have a very Cute Kid.

I'm in trouble

riiight so yeah Did the import thing worked out pretty good. Very impressed by the way. Small Problem. One of the Sections I have is a Comment Section and some of the Entires are to Long I think and it complains I have a date Truncation and it dont bring that data over. I worried. It's only 44 outa 10,500 and something but yeah. It's not good.

You might want to set that up as a memo field, if it is still to long for it then you may want to consider breaking it up somehow.

JS
    Have you ever thought about thinking on purpose?

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs
    Web/Database Development and Consulting
    The-Patriot.net by Patriot Designs

??

What's a Memo Field and how Do I go about Creating one?? I know what an electromagnetic Field is and how to create one of those. Does that count?

Haha, I know how to create an electromagnetic field, but have never really done it. I just know what I have read and really dont remember much of that :-P.

Okay did you let the import create the table for you?
    Or did you create the table with the appropriate field names and import into that?

JS
    Have you ever thought about thinking on purpose?

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs
    Web/Database Development and Consulting
    The-Patriot.net by Patriot Designs

Use the field Luc.....

Field, force, it's all the same. You can make an electromagnetic field with a battery a nail and a wire. Wrap the wire around the nail and then put in on the ends of the battery. Allacazam you have a field. I know how to make an subspace field using only immiginary numbers too. (damn higher math classes)

Anyway I let Access make the Table for me It seemed soooooo much easier that way. Then I just went through and double clicked on the colomns and titled them however I saw fit.

Ok, when importing choose the memo field for your comments rather than a text field,
    It's in the list of choices, the difference between text and memo is that a test field can hold a maximum of 255 characters and a memo field can hold up to 64000 characters, but memo fields can't be indexed or sorted,

Quote Originally Posted by VBALordCorp
    I know how to make an subspace field using only immiginary numbers too. (damn higher math classes)
    ah imaginary numbers, the SQRT(-1), been a few years since i used them, I think the last time was doing wave theory at Uni