Exclamation Unanswered: Error 14053: Cannot load the DLL replincrementlsn extended procedure...

I am setting up a transactional replication between two MSSBS2K servers, both running MSSQL2K. Both are on different domains, but are currently in the same network (until all data is replicated, then the subscribe will move to a remote site and pull changes periodically).

Everything is working on the publisher/distributor side, but when I attempt to subscribe to the distributor, I get the following message:

Error 14053: Cannot load the DLL replincrementlsn extended procedure, or one of the DLLs it references. Reason: 126(The specified module could not be found.).
    The subscription could not be updated at this time.
    The subscription could not be created.
    Has anyone experienced this? I have scoured the Internet for this error, and have come up basically empty. All I found either suggest checking for the existence of the sp_replincrementlsn and sp_replincrementlsn_internal (both of which exist) or suggest an incomplete SP install. Neither of these is the case.

Personally, I tend to suspect a permissions issue when trying to launch the appropriate DLLs is generating this less-than-intuitive error message, but I cannot determine how to go about resolving this. I am using SQL authentication to connect, and both servers use local (to their domain) non-system accounts to log in. This works fine for launching queries across the servers. Could there be a deeper permissions issue at play here?

I'm at a dead end, and I need to get this issue resolved ASAP, as this server needs to be deployed yesterday. Any help you can provide will be most appreciated!

Provided Answers: 11
    Did you have any options on the install of SQL Server, or was it all a big black box install courtesy of Microsoft? On the surface, I would suspect that replication was not installed on the SQL Server. Do a search on your box for xprepl.dll. Let us know what comes back.

Yes, xprepl.dll is installed in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Binn folder.

This install is a Windows Small Business Server 2000 install that I performed personally. I installed MS SQL based on the standard defaults. Just to be sure, though, I just now re-ran the installer and verified that the "Replication" checkbox is checked by default.

Quote Originally Posted by MCrowley
    Did you have any options on the install of SQL Server, or was it all a big black box install courtesy of Microsoft? On the surface, I would suspect that replication was not installed on the SQL Server. Do a search on your box for xprepl.dll. Let us know what comes back.

Update: Never could get past that error. Went with merge replication instead of transactional replication and it works fine. Only caveat is that this did require I move the new server under the same domain as the publisher/distributor server (rather than as a separate domain in the same forest). Small price to pay for getting this replication up and going.