Question Unanswered: Output Row Count

I'm trying to generate a list of records from a table, but want to include a new field that displays either the record number in the recordset, or the row number. This is repeatable output meaning that I need to generate 1 list of records that shows row numbers 1 through 50 (50 records total), then I need to generate a separate list, showing row numbers for a total of 45 records, then another list with 80 records & row numbers, etc...

Sounds much simpler that it is, or I'm thinking way too hard on this.

Workaround

I found a workaround that'll do the trick, but it's prety rudimentary. What I did was create a report and added a new, unbound field, with the control source of [=1], and set the "Running Sum" property to "Over All". This generates the count that I was looking for, but the issue remains. What I'm going to create is an IRS payroll tax EFT transmission file (sounds more impressive than it is). Nonetheless, the end result is a text file conatining corporate 941 data, and payment information. One of the IRS specs states that each record in the transmission file must contain a field that identifies the records place in the file, record 0001, 0002, 0003 etc...
    Next step is to export the report to a text ile, and import it back into the database for further data manipulation, the output the final recordset to a text file.

If anyone knows of a more sophisticated way of doing this, please help. y current workaround does the job, but I know there's a better way, just don't know how... yet