Question Unanswered: Oracle XML DB, change control?

Hello,

I'm not certain how to ask this question; it may be a result of my limited understanding of XML DB. Please provide suggestions if the question is not clear.

I'm currently on a project which is using XML to store all historical data. The idea being that the database will be used to store current state data, where the XML will hold historical, and user perspective data.

I have several concerns about the approach, but in particular bugs me the most. How does one handle change control of an XML schema? How do I ensure users are able to correctly access data across XML schema versions?

I'm comming from an RDBMS model standpoint, so I'm uncertain how this is done for XML. I'm thinking of XML as being a set of documents structured according to an XML schema. If the schema changes, what must be done to put the current XML documents into the new schema structure? Does XML DB work differently since it's represented by table strucutres? Will I be able to maintain the current data when I re-register or update the XML schema?

From what I understand, an XML DB schema can't be updated on the fly. It requires removing of the schema, and re-registering the schema when a change is necessary. As a result, I'm unsure of what happens to existing XML data if the underlying/defining XML schema is changed?

Any help or references would be appreciated.

Regards,

Mike

Thumbs down

The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

As if I have a choice :)

O.K., while I find the links interesting, they aren't helping my situation. I didn't have much of a say in the design and XML was pushed by J2EE architect.

I have to live with it, so please take pitty on me and provide some possible solutions to my dilema.

XML was the choosen approach because we have to keep multiple copies of the same data by participant. The idea being that we could keep those "persective" copies in XML since they will be used less often. I think ORACLE could have been a better place for these things to live but we have a deadline comming up on the 24th of Oct. and I don't have the authority or ability to make the change s to push the data into Oracle.

Cool

If you are using Oracle 9i, XML DB supports versioning (including data).

Last edited by LKBrwn_DBA; 08-17-04 at 18:23.
    The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb