Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: server back up from tape,emergency help

emergency help, our server1 is down, we need to restore everything from tape using server2, but when i put the tape in the server2, it said "unreadble media", what should i do to restore everything? How can the tape to be readble? Thanks, thanks.

Provided Answers: 54
    My first suggestion (the fastest and easiest way to fix your problem) is to switch tape drives. Take the tape drive that made your backup, and connect it to the machine where you want to restore that backup. This certainly isn't the answer that a purist would like, but when most people have got a server down they don't get too enthused about the fine details!

-PatP

but that hard drive didn't work anymore. What should i do?

Take the TAPE drive that made your backup tape off of its current server, and connect it to the server where you want to restore the backup tape. The idea is to move the exact set of tape parameters (tape head tracking, azimuth, etc) that was used to make the back to the machine where you want to do the restore.

-PatP

Pat Please don't go away, i will ask you question as soon as possible until i resove the problem. Help me. Sorry, i really don't know about the tape drive, what is it, how can i swatch, actually the server1 have no OS now, so i have to use sever2 to restore, Please see the attachment. i use ARCserve.
    Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by yyu; 08-16-04 at 17:56.

I see that you are afflicted with ArcServe. You have my condolences. That's a bad place to be when you need to get things restored in a hurry.

I assume from the problems that you are reporting that you are having trouble reading the tape. The most common cause for that problem is that one of the tape drives is out of tolerance (it needs to be adjusted to function properly). The easiest (sometimes only) way to read tapes like that is to use the original drive (the one that wrote them) to read them.

Find the tape drive that originally made the backup tape you need to restore. It is probably attached to the machine that no longer works, although it could be attached to another machine somewhere on the network. That is the tape drive that will have the best luck reading the tape, because it was the drive that was used to write the tape.

Move that tape drive to somewhere that it can be used to restore the backups. Usually the best answer is to attach that tape drive directly to the machine where you want the backup restored, but that isn't always the case.

Once you've installed the tape drive, you should then restore the backup file(s). If you have trouble with the drive that made the backup, then you need serious, professional help. That indicates that the drive is both out of tolerance (not performing according to specifications) and it is also unstable (off in a different way than when it made the backup). This could be a "lost data" situation if you are not VERY careful.

The short answer is to get the tape drive that made the backup so you can use it to restore the backup. That will give you the best chance for a fast recovery.

-PatP

For future reference ALWAYS verify tape backups on a minimum weekly basis so you don't find yourself in a "I'm losing my job" situation. And, don't use ArcServe. It sucks!!!
    MeanOldDBA
    derrickleggett@hotmail.com
    When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.

Yeah, what Derrick said!

-PatP

Thanks all, l learn lesson. Can you let me which way is the best to back up? Is back up to tape good, i know this is cheap. How is your experience to back up database. Thanks again!!
    Last edited by yyu; 08-17-04 at 13:00.

thanks for all your help.

Generally, you want to backup to disk first, then have your backup software write from there to tape. You can find scripts to do the backup here: http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad .

Whenever you backup, always do a RESTORE VERIFYONLY after to insure the backups are good. Get a policy in place to random restore backups from tape weekly or bi-weekly. Enforce it strictly.
    MeanOldDBA
    derrickleggett@hotmail.com
    When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.

Quote Originally Posted by derrickleggett
    Generally, you want to backup to disk first, then have your backup software write from there to tape. You can find scripts to do the backup here: http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad .

Whenever you backup, always do a RESTORE VERIFYONLY after to insure the backups are good. Get a policy in place to random restore backups from tape weekly or bi-weekly. Enforce it strictly.
    those things can't be said enough... it's a MUST that backups be tested regularly

also, if you are relying on the Arcserve agent alone and going directly to tape, you are just asking for trouble. It's not a bad idea to use it also but you don't want to rely on it, tape drives are probably the least reliable parts of servers, iat least you have a second chance if that database is also backed up to disk, better yet schedule a job that copies them to another server also
    drew
    ------------------
    http://wjtechnologies.com

I'll throw in a recommendation for DVD burners. Both DVD-R and DVD-RW are very reliable, quick, and highly portable. DVDs aren't always as cheap or high capacity as tape (but then again, they can be), but DVDs are usually several orders of magnitude more portable... There are at most 3 DVD standards (really just variations on a single standard), while there are probably thousands of tape standards.

-PatP

I am going to exercise to restore the database from disk. First i create a new database there, and also create new table. I am going to back up this database tonight. Tomorrow i am going to exercise to restore (i have not done restore before). Whether i need to delete the database i create today tomorrow before restoring the database? Thanks.

No, it is actually easier to restore into a database that already exists (and especially if it is appropriately sized) than it is to restore a database onto a SQL Server where it doesn't exist at all. It isn't a huge difference, but it is still easier to start with the database already on the server.

-PatP