Question Unanswered: 22GB .TMP file???

Hi,

We have an SQL Server which has developed a myterious .TMP file. We have no idea what it is. The size of it keeps growing and has now reached 22GB!!. We have no idea what its function is and on trying to delete it we get the message that access is denied as there is a sharing violation. We can't can't find the process that is associated with it either. Its name is _BEVspCacheFile_57.TMP. From this it seems it may belong to a stored procedure somewhere?!?

Does anyone know how to find out what this file is and whats using it and if it would be safe to delete it. It maybe in use by a db that is no longer needed, but we have no way of finding this out yet.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

I think it could be a file from backup exec from veritas.

Smile

Thanks for the quick reply.

that does make sense. We do use Veritas to back up. Do you know what this file is used for and how we can stop the sharing violation to delete it?

Cheers,

Can't say for sure. I did a google-search on '_BEVspCacheFile' and found the following:
    (...) I have been running around like a dog chasing its tail. We are having the exact same problem with this issue. Ever since we had upgraded our version of Backup Exec to 9.0 from 8.6 we have been having all these troubles with users not being able to save their files to their home directories. I have a trouble ticket open with Veritas and the engineer recommended I try this option. They had mentioned to us to remove the Advanced Open File option first and just run the Accelerator Agent without the OFO. They pointed out that there is TMP file that is not being properly removed when you do your daily backups. The file in question is “_bevspcachefile.tmp”. The file a hidden one so if you do a search just run *.tmp to see if it’s still in your system. I can’t believe that this could be the problem.
    If your running veritas only to backup the files/database on that server I would stop all veritas services, move the file to another location, restart the veritas services and see if the backups and restore functions are still operational. Then delete the old file. Perhaps contacting veritas itself also.

ow btw: veritas has a knowledge base I didn't consider: http://support.veritas.com/ . Select 'get support now' on the Backup exec picture, then select 'view more' on the error messages, after that select 'search knowledge base'. I did a search on 'BEVspCacheFile' which lead to an article you may wish to read.