Talking Unanswered: .LDB file doesn't release! (could be Novell problem)

Hey there,

I work with a few databases. I just converted all of them to Access 2002. Our department just upgraded to XP as well.

Might be coeincidence but since all those changes took place, the .LDB files for three out of four databases have become "stuck"! Meaning, if I browse to the directory that holds one of the databases, there sits an .LDB file.

If I try to delete the file, nogo! I look at the Novell properties that exist on the file, I see the userID for the user it suggests is holding the file, but the user doesn't even have access open!

Needless to say, this is preventing me from modifying the database!!

I've got a ticket open with our IT dept but wanted to cover all fronts...

Anybody heard of such a wacky thing?

Thanks!!

An LDB file can be loaded into Notepad. It will show who had it last. It some times needs a PC reboot if the person/process that had it last is hung up, then just restart the mdb and exit. The LDB should then be released.

This won't help, but....yes, this has happened to me many times. Rebooting the user's PC didn't help either. Sometimes the .ldb file would sit there for hours and then, as if by magic, disappear. Sometimes it would still be there the next day!!. Got our network people to check it out, and they couldn't find out what the problem was. It only ever happened with .ldb files. The bad news, therefore, is that it remains a mystery.
    Andy Briggs
    Elmhurst Solutions Limited
    Database Development and Consultancy
    http://www.elmhurstsolutions.com

Bottom line is, "it doesn't matter." The LDB file basically exists just to be-there. It's used by the locking mechanism.
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by poliarci
    An LDB file can be loaded into Notepad. It will show who had it last. It some times needs a PC reboot AND a restart mdb (by the last known user) AND an exit. The LDB should then be released.
    Notice THREE conditions must be met. Also, check out what/who had it last. You may also want to create a log file message everytime you enter a procedure, so when it hangs up you can narrow down the faulty procedure or function call.