Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3

    Question Unanswered: ActiveX component can't create object

    This is a strange story.
    My ASP pages accessing a SQL Server database had been working fine up to this point. Then as part of the Never-Ending-Update to the servers, a Microsoft Security Patch was installed. I'm still hunting down the exact patch number, but have narrowed it to MS04-015 thru MS04-0024.
    After that, when clicking a link to access a dataset, boooom, the following error was generated:

    Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a01ad'
    ActiveX component can't create object
    /.../.../.../StatusPage.asp, line 7

    The code in that module is:

    <% Response.Buffer = True
    Page_Title = " Test Status Page"
    Page_Ref = "STATS" %>
    <!-- #INCLUDE VIRTUAL=".../Includes/FC_Page_Top.inc" -->
    <%
    dim dbConn
    Set dbConn=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

    I checked the privs on the IUSR_xxx and IWAM_xxx accounts and included them both into the Admins group. I still get the same error.

    Does anyone have a suggestion where next to go?????

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    721
    You may want to try upgrading or downgrading your MDAC (Microsoft Data Access Components). Your recent update may have installed an MDAC version or patch that caused it to malfunction.
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3
    Hi there Seppuku. Watch that axe, Eugene! (A pink Floyd blurb)

    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately in this corporate environment, reinstalling a component without a lengthy change request is not easy.
    I took a note from another post who said it was an NTFS permission problem. So I selected the DLL's and added the Everyone account with Full Control to the files permissions.
    The directory for the ADO DLL's can be found in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\ado path.

    While it fixed the initial error, it created a new error on the next line with:

    ADODB.Connection error '800a0e7a'
    ADO could not find the specified provider.
    /.../.../.../StatusPage.asp, line 8

    The error moves to the next line of code:

    <% Response.Buffer = True
    Page_Title = " Test Status Page"
    Page_Ref = "STATS" %>
    <!-- #INCLUDE VIRTUAL="Web_Pages/Includes/FC_Page_Top.inc" -->
    <%
    dim dbConn
    Set dbConn=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    dbConn.Open "Provider=sqloledb;User ID=xadmin;Password=pass;Initial Catalog=SQLdb;Data Source=ServerName"

    This to me is crazy. Does anyone see a pattern here?
    Nit-picking a line at a time isn't really how this should be fixed.
    Or is reinstalling the MDAC the only solution?

    Thanks.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    721
    dbConn.Open "Provider=sqloledb;User ID=xadmin;Password=pass;Initial Catalog=SQLdb;Data Source=ServerName"

    Is "ServerName" actually in your connection string? This should be the DNS or IP Address to your SQL server.
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3
    Hi.

    The information for the connection string is generic. ServerName could be any valid DNS or IP address.
    I don't like putting company secure information on a public website.
    The upshot is that the data on the connection string hasn't changed.
    But with where I'm at, this is as far as I've moved.

    The specified provider is Sqloledb. This is the provider to use if you are connecting to a SQL Server database using ADO. And the error I'm getting is saying that ADO cannot find Sqloledb.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    721
    Try this:

    dbConn.Open "Provider=SQLOLEDB;User ID=xadmin;Password=pass;Initial Catalog=SQLdb;Data Source=ServerName,1433; Network Library=DBMSSOCN"

    In the first one, I just capped it... it's a long shot...

    In the second change, try adding the port and adding the Network Library.
    Last edited by Seppuku; 08-19-04 at 18:18. Reason: my bad grammar
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,618
    In answer to your bigger question,... I'd have to agree with Sep. It's likely that what was installed changed the ADO configuration/dll's in some way.

    If you don't want to go through line by line and change things so they work with the new setup then the likely answer is to re-install MDAC. It's impossible to know if this will actually fix the problem, but it is likely that it will.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    721
    If anything, ask your tech group to find out what version of MDAC is on there...
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,618
    heheheh that's a really fun job,.. MS even have a special tool you can do it with because there are so many minor versions... heheheh

    but if you don't know what was installed previously it doesn't help alot...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •