Unanswered: Barcoding and Access

Has anyone created an access database and implemented barcoding with it?

My company is needing basically either a scaled down ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning), or something similar. I think I can build them something using Access and VBA, I know I could make it work with a barcode scanner and such, but I just wanted to know if there is someone that has done something similar so I dont have to reinvent (if there is anything to invent :-P)

The database I am creating or rather thinking of creating would track inventory, work in progress, shipping, recieving, and that would be about it as of right now. Each of those would have several sections. I am also working on creating a sales order/work order deal for the salesmen and production managers ease of use.

All thoughts appreciated,
    JS
    Have you ever thought about thinking on purpose?

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs
    Web/Database Development and Consulting
    The-Patriot.net by Patriot Designs

Bar codes in access

There are several ways to to implement bar codes in Access. The most simple, flexible method I can think of is to use bar code fonts in your reports. This works well for many things but may not work so well for stickers and labels (high volume on specialty printers). Fonts will be very effective if you have good printers (bubble jet/ink jet don't cut it).

Carolina Bar code and Wasp sell fonts (cheap) that can easily be used...

As for your DB, contact me at astack@comcast.net. I have just completed a DB solution that sounds similar and may be able to help....

More Ideas

Hi JS,

I agree with everything Stacked said. I've done 2 seperate db's using barcodes. 1 for inventory control and 1 for job tracking in a shop.

I can't post them here as they were sold to clients, but let me know if you have questions if you decide to proceed.

I was a little leary to get into them, not knowing much about the barcode world, but both db's were very successful. It turned out to be much easier than I anticipated (which never happens to me).

This site has some freeware fonts (within their restrictions).

http://www.bizfonts.com/free/

Stacked mentioned Wasp...which one of my clients uses to print labels. Works well. The other is printing labels as reports from Access. This took a little care for font sizing, etc. and a special label printer but is also working great.

Regards,

Chris

There are several ways to to implement bar codes in Access. The most simple, flexible method I can think of is to use bar code fonts in your reports. This works well for many things but may not work so well for stickers and labels (high volume on specialty printers). Fonts will be very effective if you have good printers (bubble jet/ink jet don't cut it).

Carolina Bar code and Wasp sell fonts (cheap) that can easily be used...

As for your DB, contact me at astack@comcast.net. I have just completed a DB solution that sounds similar and may be able to help....
    I appreciate you willingness to help. I know the font deal. I am more talking about having a computer out in the back and someone has a scanner attached scans a part into inventory and such. The idea is simple and it seems that way but I think I am overthinking the whole thing. I appreciate your response to this. I will email you because I would love to offer my company something and save them some more money as well as increase my job security.

Hi JS,

I agree with everything Stacked said. I've done 2 seperate db's using barcodes. 1 for inventory control and 1 for job tracking in a shop.

I can't post them here as they were sold to clients, but let me know if you have questions if you decide to proceed.

I was a little leary to get into them, not knowing much about the barcode world, but both db's were very successful. It turned out to be much easier than I anticipated (which never happens to me).

This site has some freeware fonts (within their restrictions).

http://www.bizfonts.com/free/

Stacked mentioned Wasp...which one of my clients uses to print labels. Works well. The other is printing labels as reports from Access. This took a little care for font sizing, etc. and a special label printer but is also working great.

Regards,

Chris
    I will let you know if I have any more questions. I have actually created a database I might be able to show it to you if I can shrink it. (I embedded pictures of which I now know is a no no :-P). I created a small inventory system for my caulk. I think I can duplicate it and create it for my parts and such. Its like I said above I think I am thinking about it too hard. It seems easy to me, but when I go to sit down and do it I seem to get a brain burp.

I will let you know if I have any more questions.

JS
    Have you ever thought about thinking on purpose?

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs
    Web/Database Development and Consulting
    The-Patriot.net by Patriot Designs