Core Data Definition

We are in the process of trying to determine what our Core Data need is, and I was wondering if any one knows where I can retrieve a good definition to share with others of what comprises core data.

We have been strugling with the definition. The following is a list of the camps so far:
    1) We have some that feel it is only the data that is being requested by others.
    2) Some that feel it is only mission critical data.
    3) Some that feel it is the subset of the mission critical data that is shared with others within and outside of the agency.

Please respond with a link or answer 1, 2, or 3 based on the three above definitions.

Core Data in an Enterprise

1) I would suggest creating a a series of Data Models for different levels of Data.

2) Start with a Generic Data Model for your Enterprise.
    Limit it to not more than 15 Entities. Here's an example I have found useful :-

This page lists a whole range of Models that might help you, depending on the nature of your business.

3) Then define levels of Core Data :-
    3.1 The foundation would be Reference Data - Countries, Currencies, Time Zones, Payment Methods and so on.

3.2Then would come the Core Entities - aka 'Things of Interest', such as Products or Services, Customers or Users, and so on.

3.3 Somewhere higher would come Business Intelligence/Management Information. These requirements are likely to change over time, so you need a Data Model that reflects this.