Question Unanswered: Extend Container Or Add New Container?

I do have the environment run on AIX4.3.3 & DB2 7.1, the container which consist of 10 data files each about 6GB size.

Now we plan to increase the container size, so it is recommended to continue "Extend" the container or "Add New" number of container?

What is the major impact of it in term of performance? In term "Extend" & "Add New"? I more concern on "Extend" problem.

Is that comman that one data file can growth to 10GB or 20GB each? Is that any problem to management it?

Regards
    SiKar

The two options you mentioned, Extend is easier and performace hit is extrememly small, it doesn't require a rebalance as a new container would, but it also doesn't spread your data out more which would allow prefetching to work better. From a managability standpoint, its easier to extend, We have containers that are as large as 20 gig. You would need to decide. Also another thing to look at is, are the containers on there own disk, are you using using a "RAID 5".

If you have fast disk, the size of the containers won't matter as much, you just don't want multiple containers on the same disks.
    David Quigley

Thank.

Basically we are running in SAN environment, so consider all RAID 5 environment.

I just worry if continue allow extend will it be any big impact? is that any different if extend only 100MB each time or better extend big size at one go?

Thank

Regards
    SiKar